Beautiful New Tamiya Release Coming; What is it?

For all F1 scale model news...

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Beautiful New Tamiya Release Coming; What is it?

Post by SteveNoble »

Nothing for me. Glad they have released a 1/24 car but this is not something I'm interested in at all. Would have preferred the Toyota Yaris WRC, but that's just me....
Steve Noble

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Its an interesting strategy where they pour enormous resources into unusual looking subjects. The Enzo is hardly the best looking ferrari, yet the kit looked like phenomenal design. Same with this. I really try not to give it the ‘meh’ treatment, but its how i feel. Mclaren make some decent looking cars, but this ain’t one. Maybe it works for some, but it doesn’t strike me as a shape that will go down as a classic.

Why not put this effort into a mac F1 GTR or equivalent. Must be that enough folks out there want the latest.

Perhaps an interesting display model with the body panels off. Maybe.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well, I'm glad I didn't hold my breath, because then I would be breathless now (and angry about that, lol). I appreciate Tamiya offering this kit, even if the car does nothing for me, as I think it is double-bagging ugly (that is: paperbag over the head, not wanting to be seen with, ugly) and also the wrong scale. Then again it wouldn't interest me in 1/12 either as it is still the ugly duckling of the McLaren lineup and too "modern". Anyway, watching the unboxing of the sprues and everything I think it is an awesome offering for those that are into these type of cars. I love the way the body is designed, essentially very similar to the real car with the one piece chassis / monocoque, the "bolt on" panels and all that jazz. It may have some people slightly pee their pants in excitement or starting to dribble away uncontrollably, but again it's not for me.
A for effort
B- for subject ;)
Cheers,
Roman

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

SteveNoble wrote: Would have preferred the Toyota Yaris WRC, but that's just me....
There'll be a nice Yaris at 1/24 as a die cast from Salvat collection. Yeeees, I know, "a diecast" but believe me, they are really fine, priced at 25eu, really nice 8)

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

43rdMichael wrote:Meh.
Well, hopefully this means reissue of the F1 kits. Perhaps.
I wish that could be true!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

I've seen there will be a Mclaren Senna in 1/24 scale around January. I guess thats the one!

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I like that, i was hoping to see Tamiya do a new McLaren.

pstager
F2
F2
Your Name: Pat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by pstager »

I think it's good they're releasing a "hypercar" kit, there's alot of interest for those in the hobby at large. Like many others have said, however, it doesn't do much for me personally. A GTR version might change my mind though!

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Good... one box less to worry about. I think the McSenna is one of the ugliest supercars around today, just an exercise in marketing. I'm not into road supercar/hypecar kits, but could think twice about a Koenigsegg Regera/Jesko/Gemera...

The big question today for me is when someone will do a 1/20 or 1/24 plastic kit of one of Hamilton's champion cars? The guy win 7 titles and there's only two plastic kits of cars he drove, and of seasons that he wasn't champion. You have multiple cars from Senna, Schumacher and Prost, two of the four cars of Vettel. Alonso, Button and Rosberg's championship cars also never appeared in plastic. Strange ways of marketing.

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

I agree that there should be a plastic kit or two of Hamilton's championship cars. Although I'm not a fan of Lewis his accomplishments cannot be denied. Strange that there hasn't been at least one.