For all F1 scale model news...

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Re: Scale Auto Magazine is Dead

Post by flashman »

cbk57 wrote:My all time favorite feature was a rebuild of the Revell 1/12 Camero into the famous Racing Sunoco Camero as driven by Mark Donahue in Trans Am. I so wanted to build that car but the conversion work was always past my abilities. I tried in vain to convert the 1/24 CAmero, I think i even found the decals but never could get the fender bulges right.
A 1/25 scale resin conversion body for the 1969 Sunoco Camaro Trans-Am champion with all the body mods is currently available from Scott Harvieux via ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Sunoco-Ca ... Sw5Pldrm9Z

Scott also has a separate set of additional parts for this conversion (wheels, tires, brakes, roll cage, exhaust, rear spoiler, dash, seat, & decals):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Sunoco-Ca ... Sw5Pldrm9Z

Any version of the widely available Revell 1/25 1969 Camaro kits will work as the donor, such as this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/69-Camaro-Z-28 ... SwGTBezw-7

Scott has been an ebay seller for years, so you can buy with confidence.

Cameron

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

Cameron, thanks so much, I took a quick look, I might finally get to build one. My main exception to liking Muscle cars are muscle cars that were road racers.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

cbk57 wrote:My main exception to liking Muscle cars are muscle cars that were road racers.
I agree, especially the Trans-Am racers! :D I have the makings to someday build four of my favorites (1970 Mustang, Cuda, Challenger, and 1971 Donohue Javelin)

If you don't already the issues with the articles, you might want to consider this digital download that is still available:
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/ ... d/scpdf017

Cameron

BT46B
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by BT46B »

Hello all! This is my first time back in a loooong while and I am happy to renew the account.
News of Scale Auto Enthusiast/Scale Auto folding hurts. Fourteen years ago I worked with a woman who wore a Scale Auto Enthusiast jacket to work and I said, "Wow! I love that magazine!" I think she believed I was being sarcastic but I found out this Lynda Schmidt's husband Gary started the magazine. A couple years before, Gary sold it to Kalmbach Publishing which published a lot of hobby industry magazines.
When I had worked at Kohler Company one of the guys Tom Gaffney was a regular contributor or maybe an editor for Scale Auto Enthusiast. When Lynda and I talked about SAE she mentioned knowing Gaffney and told me stories about April Fools issues and other fun they had when they owned the magazine.
After the sale the Schmidts moved into the countryside outside of the Milwaukee area and got a nice property with a car collection that included a few Galaxies and a 300ZX while Lynda had an MG she drove in summer as her own fun car.
At one point around this time (1996-1997) Lynda mentioned how many plastic kits Gary had. Staggering number. I am sure if he was pressed for cash in the time since he has sold these kits at premium prices.
Anyway, just a little personal contribution to the backstory of another magazine sadly going out of business in a changing and 'disrupted' world.
"Of all the pretenders who have come after my five World Championships, I felt only he had what it takes."
-- Juan Manuel Fangio speaking after the death of Ayrton Senna da Silva