Finally FW14B detail set

For all F1 scale model news...

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Finally FW14B detail set

Post by bestbalsakits »

for resellers, the kit was available from standard tamiya wholesale till about 10 years ago. When it was released, kit was made in big numbers but it didn't sell as well as foreseen, so tamiya got 'stuck' with it for 20 some years. Not sure they want to re-issue that soon after that debacle.
Unlike today where nr of kits produced is more or less sum of presales and some extra, back then volumes where much bigger. Anticipating sales of previous released MP4/6 & 641/2, i can imagine stock was pretty huge.

ALso, plenty of the MP4/6, 641/2 & FW14B kits you can buy 2nd hand these days, have hardened/melted tires and sellers sometimes 'forget' to mention, or simply don't know. So, if you want to spend money for any of these kits, make sure tire condition is ok because replacement is almost impossible to find and expensive when you do find.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Replacement tires is no more problem, also rain tires. The hardened tires in the kits plus the flat spots from standing is also fixed with the 3D printed ones i did, one of the main reasons why i wanted to do replacement parts which don`t cause that trouble anymore. The trouble with hardened tires is especially on build models which get UV light from the sun, that turns them pretty fast bad, seen it on my MP 4/6 which went into my junk box.
But i agree on the numbers of kits, in the past they did more kits then nowadays, seems like they learned their lesson. Not so good for modelers, but understandable finaly.
Take a stand!

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

ow i know about your tires and welcome them. I was simply referring to those who want to buy kit that is intact as is. Some prefer to stay original, that's all.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Yes for sure, if you want a kit with tires that are fully intact, this can be a problem.
I have several Tamiya 12th kits in my stash, old ones and new ones, but even on the old ones i have kits where the tires looking good and also feel good (soft), they never seen the sunlight and that should be the reason the tires looking fine. But im sure that once they see the daylight, they will turn bad pretty fast.
I also have new kits where the tires are looking bad, even without sunlight, my guess is that they used a silghty different material on the re releases. Don`t know if this is good or bad, but not all are looking the same.
My intention was to have a solid solution on which these effects don`t appear, makes no sence to me to use a Top Studio super set and have bad tires on after a couple of years, it sounds like wasting money on a high priced model to me.
Finaly i`m happy that i lost no chance to get a kit for a normal price when they have been available, today i would have to deal with a price nearly a MFH kit with all the Super detail sets, but even this would not bother me if i realy want this model.
Take a stand!

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Noddy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:25 am
daniel wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:13 pm Everyone has it in their stashes ;) ...at least to sell out the aftermarket sets 10 times
Rubbish, lol: the original kit is just shy of 30 years old mate, loads of people building today never had a chance at this 30 years ago. There's been enough interest in re-issues of old Tamiya 1/12 scale kits to be a pretty good indicator of demand for this one, too.
I bet if they offered a clear cowl version, like with the other two, it would sell like hotcakes.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

So, here is my perspective on this. You are saying the original kit was released in roughly 1991. I have every tamiya catalog back to 1972. In review of my catalogs I find that there was not even a single photo of a 1/12th race car in the 1990 or 1991 catalogs. The Ferrari 641/2 and the MP4/6 showed up in the 1992 catalog. The Williams FW14B followed in the 1993 Catalog. Interesting to note that the MP4/6 was no longer featured in the Catalog in 1996. Indicating to me at least that Tamiya had sold out of its initial production run. The Ferrari 641/2 followed removal from the catalog the next year in 1997. The Williams FW14B finally fell from the publication in 2014. So, if you do the math, the MP4/6 sold out its initial production somewhere within a four year span. The 641/2 sold out its initial production run somewhere within a five year span. And it took 21 years for the FW14B to do the same thing. Another note I made while looking through my old catalogs is that there were no listings for the 641/2 or the MP4/6 as re-releases. I think that this is largely due to them being unlicensed re-releases. If you think about it, the MP4/6 for example was only ever re-released in connection with one of the big Japanese trade shows. Same can be said for the Marlon M23 in both 1/12th and 1/20th, no official placement in the catalog for those re-releases either. In summery if you would like to purchase a 1/12th scale FW14B you are likely going to be dead before tamiya re-releases it so you may as well get off your wallet & belly up to the bar and be willing to pay fair market value for it. Christ you had 21 years to buy it, why would you wait until it's no longer available..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

My guess, it is probably licensing that is an issue. Williams is still a going operation so imagine fees would be the hold up. The other stuff we see such as Brabham, Tyrrell, and Matra no longer race. So, that might make fees cheaper.

Yup, I had an FW14B. Sold it. Regret it maybe a little. Probably would sit boxed up. Can't build everything.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

SBEST wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am My guess, it is probably licensing that is an issue.
You must not have read my post then Steve. I don't think licensing has anything to do with it. I think it more the fact that it appears it took Tamiya 21 years to sell out of their initial run of kits. Far too long for it to take to recover their investment in my opinion. So why would they want to invest again in a dog?

On top of that Tamiya hasn't seemed to have any trouble releasing unlicensed releases of the 641/2 or MP4/6 for local trade shows so in my eyes licensing is not a logical argument for Tamiya not re-releasing the kit.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Icon_Modeler wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:02 pm
SBEST wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:24 am My guess, it is probably licensing that is an issue.
You must not have read my post then Steve. I don't think licensing has anything to do with it. I think it more the fact that it appears it took Tamiya 21 years to sell out of their initial run of kits. Far too long for it to take to recover their investment in my opinion. So why would they want to invest again in a dog?
I did read it. Probably, was a dog in 1992. But in 10 years things change? However, have not seen any other Williams re-released so that where my comment is coming from.

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

You’re right about silly prices.
Someone recently offered me a very high price for the kit with addons I have with!

Pascal
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth