Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Packing built kits for intercontinental journey by plane

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hi all

probably not many of you will need these kind of information but since I will probably move back to Italy in the near future, I am starting to bring back over there some built kits. Obviously the dreaded task is how to pack them properly so that once at destination the kits will still be in one piece...or two maximum :lol:

First of all we are talking about 1/20 kits only which I will bring with me along the journey (one boat trip, one 12 hrs flight and another 1 hr long flight to my hometown). I will not check them in at the airport but will bring them as carry-on luggage.

For each one of my models I had previously bought display cases which I have now used to pack my kits.
Then I had to hold down the model onto its base so that it would not move, for this I used a temporary holding tape (Nitto 3800A) which is the blue tape you see in the photos below, this is not supposed to leave any adhesive markings on the surface of the model.

Second thing is to protect the rear wings which are the frailest parts in the kits. I placed styrofoam cubes either behind the rear wheels or behind the gearbox so that the car would not move backwards and hit the wing on the plexiglass cover.
IMG_20200101_111337.jpg
IMG_20200101_111343.jpg
IMG_20200101_111350.jpg
IMG_20191224_115815.jpg
After this I put the display cover on and made sure it would stay put and well attached to the base using the usual blue tape:
Footwork inside its box.jpg
I have bought a couple of boxes 40x30x20cm which could fit six kits, placed over two layers, three kits stacked over three kits:
Bottom layer
Bottom layer
It is going to be a long trip so will see how they withstand this intercontinental journey! Will update after arrival back home.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: Packing built kits for intercontinental journey by plane

Post by daveyman »

Good luck.

lham44
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Post by lham44 »

One thing I might suggest is that even though the tape isn't supposed to leave adhesive, maybe put some cloth or foam between the tape and the model, that way the finish is definitely protected and the tape will still hold it down.

Dave

Noddy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Noddy »

Instead of tape use clear plastic cling film - it sticks to itself, nothing else.

smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Post by smbrm1 »

Having moved several times, from North America to Europe and back, and long distance in Canada, one of the main things is to ensure is, however the models are secured, vibration will not cause undue and damaging friction between the packing materials and model surfaces. The propensity for this type of damage is often not easy to appreciate until after it appears.

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

I recently moved and had to pack all my models up. I only moved a 15 minute drive away and obviously was able to move the models myself so it's different than your situation.

Anyways, I copied how some diecast open-wheel models are packed. I set the model on a piece of firm cardboard and then use flexible metal wire carefully looped over the front and rear suspension near the wheels. The wire is then attached to the cardboard (through holes in the cardboard and tied or taped on the bottom). Finally I find a strong box and securely tape the cardboard+model to the bottom of the box.

I've moved several times this way and most recently moved 7 models this way without any damage.

dmandam
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: DMANDAM
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Cook Islands

Post by dmandam »

I have moved models a number of times (Oz to NZ return, Oz to England & return, Oz to the US & return) and use a similar 'base-and-case'/'base-and-box' system.
The trick is to ensure that the model cannot move both relative to the base/case...or its parts relative to each other.
I try and avoid relying on the kit suspension; firstly because they tend to be weak points and secondly they are hard to repair if there are breakages.
To this end I support the underside of the chassis with a packer - a laminated block of scrap styrene double sided taped to the base with a bit of cloth on top.
Then I secure the tires to the base with a loop of wire threaded through holes drilled in front and behind each tire and twisted to close the loop.
I have used a strap over the top as you have done but protect the finish with a pad of micro-fiber cloth.
However, I prefer to cut a block of foam to fit between the seat and the top of the case to ensure that there is no vertical movement...less chance of damage to the finish on what is a prominent part of most F1 models.
Lastly a sheet of bubble wrap around the case takes care of any small impacts.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

I am also grateful for this question and the responses. I am retiring and the sale of our house and move will occur in the next 6 months. Unfortunately, it looks like there will be a period of storage before we can unpack.

Thanks to you all and Happy New year.

Regards,

Joe.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Finally back home! Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions, I will try them on my next move.

First of all, I forgot to show the package, which I always carried by hand:
Box.jpg
IMG_20191224_101422.jpg
Once on the plane I did not know where to place the box with those six precious puppies...overhead locker or under the seat in front? The box could fit either storage places and I opted for the seat in front of me:
On the plane under the seat.jpg
This turned out to be a big mistake because during the sleep I have unintentionally kicked the box more than once causing the damages you can see below:
IMG_20200101_111706.jpg
IMG_20200101_111921.jpg
Both cars were on the same side of the box, exactly the one I kicked with my foot that's the reason they broke. The cars were well secured on the display case and did not move at all, none of the models hit the display case, so unless you are on a short flight I suggest to put the models on the overhead storage. I will do so next time.

As for the blue tape I used: as I expected it did not leave any glue markings, this is the same tape we use in the company I work for to fix into place the plastic buttons on the products before we ship them out to distributors so I knew this thing was super safe, strong hold and no adhesive leftover at all. It is also useful to fix the display transparent cover to its base. I even tried to put a display case upside down with the Jordan inside and nothing happened!

By the time I am typing this I have already fixed the Williams and the McLaren, no big damage done.
Because the way I secured the models on to the display case was quite OK I will probably use the same method next time but will place them on the plane's overhead locker to avoid any bashing!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

:( That sucks. But at least the damage was not fixable, which is something.
It is good advice you are providing to us, whether for shipping or transporting built models on your own.

Hopefully you will not have to do too many of these trips.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)