Re: 1/12 FW14B Help

Post by kimi_8 »

Thanks upnorth, ive been on that site before. Great link thank you

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

It's a new one for me too ill be checking this one out.

Paul

Topic author
kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

Zero paints have arrived. Just waiting for the car itself now

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

The best in my opinion .

Paul

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

kimi_8 wrote:burnish? what does that mean?
I'll reiterate what Jaws said, just because I think it's important. It means "mash down the edges of the masking tape you've applied, so you don't get spray under it". If you don't, it ruins the perfectly straight lines you thought you'd have 'tween colours (don't ask me how I know that...)

Jaw's "paint on the same day you mask" is good advice, too. It's funny how the edges of masking tape will imperceptibly curl up after just 12 hours, and leave you with the above-mentioned, ruined lines (don't ask me how I know that either...)

Good luck with the build!
Chris

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

Good point as I've left stuff for a while and had to re seal or re mask and its a pain

Paul

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

As for the HLJ stuff, only order what is in stock, as the other stuff may never be available again, and HLJ typically does not remove old "unavailable" stuff off their website (one of their only flaws) - as for the paints, Tamiya made the white and yellow and the only questionable color was the blue which to me is somewhere between TS44 and TS15 - that is what I used, and I think their colors are great and do not require gloss coating at all.

And yes, use Tamiya masking tape and burnish with new rounded tip toothpick, that can be sanded on a sanding stick if needed to make nice and smooth.

Alex Hague

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I can give you a really good tip regarding masking to prevent something that was mentioned in an earlier post and that was that when you use the tape around curves it will wrinkle on the edges. Use your Tamiya tape or whatever tape you decide on for the masking work, but instead of using it straight from the roll at 6mm width, cut it down into much thinner strips of say 1~2mm using a brand new scalpel blade and a steel ruler (lay the tape on a cutting mat to enable you to do the cutting) You will find that the thinner strips of tape will be incredibly flexible and much, much easier to bend around corners or complex curves and there will be no wrinkling of the edges.
The tip already mentioned about burnishing the edges of your tape is good advice but also you can apply a few very light dry coats of the paint especially around the tape edges (some people use clear for this, but I tend to use the actual colour itself) These dry coats will seal the edges of the tape and later when you are applying more coats the sealed edges will prevent any paint from bleeding under the tape :D
Steve Noble

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Sennafan wrote:...and HLJ typically does not remove old "unavailable" stuff off their website (one of their only flaws) ...
Alex Hague
Yeah, that "feature" of HLJ can be annoying. But I've come to think that perhaps it helps people search eBay and such, for things they didn't even know existed?
SteveNoble wrote:...Use your Tamiya tape or whatever tape you decide on for the masking work, but instead of using it straight from the roll at 6mm width, cut it down into much thinner strips of say 1~2mm using a brand new scalpel blade and a steel ruler (lay the tape on a cutting mat to enable you to do the cutting) You will find that the thinner strips of tape will be incredibly flexible and much, much easier to bend around corners or complex curves and there will be no wrinkling of the edges... :D
Good advice, and I'll take it one step further. I'm getting even better results now, with very thin masking tape that's made for the purpose. Like the 0.4 and 0.7mm widths in the Aizu Micron Masking Tape line. In my experience, sometimes a new sharp blade would start to imperceptibly dull, as I was cutting my own thin strips, and leave me with imperceptibly ragged Tamiya masking tape edges. And that would be reflected in slightly blurry ragged lines 'tween colours. But now I'm getting perfect lines every time (if I do say so myself) with the Aizu products. And they're cheap. Well worth the money if you ask me.
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist/?SeriesID=1028

Oh, and it helps to keep your masking tape rolls clean. Wipe the table of all dust before you set them down. And put the rolls straight back in their package immediately you're done. Dust is evil.

Cheers,
Chris

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

May I revive this thread....rather than start a new one?

I am finishing my FW14B this winter!

Bold statement there as I have had this model since 1993...and has been in "development" since then.

I have a few questions, but let's start with this one, how have you guys treated the front upper part of the tub, where the part line is near the driver's hands? The two parts join and the tiny blue area shows with a gap..... just fill with some glue and brush paint blue? I wanted to glue fill sand and paint but didn't seem possible to get the interior together.

Also notice, that I painted the car pretty dark. I ordered paint way back then from MCW and this is the color blue I have - it is not gonna change at this point, but yes it is a bit of a dark blue.