steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Re: Tamiya TS sprays - Fragile?

Post by steveracer »

Here is a quick update of my issues.

I solved the tape imprints on the Tamiya Spray Lacquers by having a plan with paper masking around the majority of the masked area, then applying 10mm Tamiya tape to the model at the color break. Then taping the mask to the Tamiya 10mm tape, that way the time from tape going down on paint is minimized. Then quickly painting and removing the tape Immediately after spraying. Here I taped the black and painted the Tamiya spray again. It worked fine.
smaller image second paint.JPG
Secondly, I painted the green acrylic X paint on the nose with an airbrush, then cleared it with Tamiya TS clear without ANY issues at all. I can put the decals over this. So the Tamiya spray Lacquer does not affect the X colors, or at least not park green.
IMG_9654 (1).JPG
IMG_9654 (1).JPG (48.67 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Thank you everyone for your guidance.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Yeah, Tamiya TS and X paints seem to play nice together. You can also make the X paints a 'lacquer' by thinning them with Tamiya lacquer thinner.

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

There you go, perfect, and yes I use the paper trick on large surfaces to avoid too much tape

I just did the Nunu M8, also sprayed the TS-14 and Ts-29, over TS-26, on plastic with no primer, great results pulling the tape while the black was still wet, just have to be careful, and perfection

Now the trick is the splash 2k clear over this and decals, should be fun, been experimenting more and more with this clear and love it so far, have a Meng truck that I did Modena yellow plus clear

Only thing I noticed is having to heat my one car side of my garage to get the clear dry on the few days it is cold in Houston