PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Favorite Pin Vise and bits

Post by PeteJ »

Ok, this is the cadillac(Rolls Royce for those on the other side of the pond). https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/S166Z
I am not a fan of cheap tools. I have wasted more money on cheap tools that frustrate the heck out of me and I ultimately wind up buying a good quality one, that I have decided to skip the "cheap" tool phase and buy something that will last a lifetime. Never regretted buying a quality tool but sure as heck regretted a lot of cheap tools.

Having said that this is my second choice and it still qualifies as a great quality tool. https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Fine-Vise ... B00EEOD03C This is different from the one I have in that it has a rubber grip. If this is the one I think it is, it comes with 4 different sized tips to handle just about any wire gauge bits. Worth the money.

As to bits, I shop at MSC.com for commercial grade Kyocere brand. Super quality bits. Second choice are printed circuit bits. They are often carbide bits. I only use those in my mill because they are very hard and break easily if you wobble of center.

pbrowne
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Peter Browne
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Brabham - Lauda, Senna
Australia

Post by pbrowne »

I just received two Tamiya 74112 Fine Pin Vise D-R (0.1-3.2mm.) with rubber grips. The quality is outstanding, exceptionally well machined. Comes with four collets inside the vice. Highly recommended.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qQQAAOxy-WxTDFfK/s-l500.jpg
Last edited by pbrowne on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perth, Western Australia

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Tamiya pin vise 0.1-3.2mm (Fine Vice D). It has 2 double ended collets (4 effective collets) which I have color coded with some paint to quickly identify the correct collet to use. They store in the handle. Quality little tool and weighted nicely in the hand. Had it for years and it has never let me down. Never regretted buying it. Best investment I have made for a tool that I am always reaching for.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

I have the Tamiya Fine Pin Vise S (0.1-1.0MM) but it will not hold a 0,3 mm drill. A problem I find common to many four jaw pin vices.

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

Pin Vice.JPG
Here are some of the pin vices I have. Going from left to right are the least favourite to the favourite.

Unfortunately for the one on the far right I purchased it at a US National Convention quite a few years ago so I do not have a supplier for it.

Going from left to right
1. Least favourite and one of the first pin vices I got. The only good thing about it is that I can put some drill bits in the holder in the handle. I hated that when you had to apply pressure to drill a hole the end you are pushing against does not rotate so part of your hand gets dirty from pressing on the aluminum end.

2. I purchased this after reading how great it was. You hold the top and move the spring loaded midsection which rotates the drill bit. Maybe the one I have is not that good quality as it never seemed to work well.

3. Purchased this at a hobby store and does a pretty good job. Only one size collet so I use it for smaller drill bits. I like that the top rotates making the twisting motion easy.

4. It comes with 4 collets so I can put in some fairly large drill bits (approx 3.2mm). I like the large rubber end so i can apply quite a bit of pressure if needed. The large rubber end also rotates freely. It is very comfortable to use.