Packing built kits for transport (2nd version)

Post your best modeling tips here.

Topic author
BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Packing built kits for transport (2nd version)

Post by BMW »

Hello,
And so I have to relocate (again) and have to package all my built models and all other worldly possessions for transport.

I was inspired by the experiences of Corpsegrinder, who's boxes can be found here:
https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30712

Unlike Corpse, I am shipping my stuff by van, so was looking for a way to package my kits so they could go into regular moving boxes.
And due to a lack of time and resources, I had to solve this in the easiest way possible (no time to order anything special, and wait for the shipping).

I bought a stack of TJENA boxes from IKEA and a few rolls of painters tape.
The boxes I bought 25x35x10 which are perfect for two 1/20 kits, or one 1/12 model but there are other sizes available.
The boxes are also excellent as they come with a separate cardboard bottom, and with a piece of packing cardboard that can be used for creating supports.

1: First, I "glued" the car to the box' false bottom using painters tape. I decided to hold the tires down, as they are (most of the time) easy to wrap around, and they are the heaviest part of the kit. The tape is wrapped tight, but not overly so. As this is cardboard, it does flex a bit inwards making the tape loose, but that is solved later.
2: Testing the concept:
3: Created supports using the piece of packing cardboard that came with the box (9.5 by 2cm in this case) (NOTE: the supports need to be slightly higher than the box height)
4: placed in box:
5: taped box shut. As the supports are higher than the box itself, the supports are pushing the false floor down, both straightening the cardboard and keeping the model fixed in place.

The boxes are then protected by bubblewrap inside a regular moving box.

Because of the heavy blobs of resin, I will use a slightly different method to hold down resin models. There I will just package one model per box, and not only hold the tires down, but also the body using tape that goes across sideways.
Hopefully, when I unpack them in three months time, all my models are still in one piece. I will keep you posted, if you can maintain the suspense for three months. :)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: Packing built kits for transport (2nd version)

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Good luck mate, I know what it means. I like your solution, even though in a van you have all the space you want, whereas in a plane I have to make the most of my hand luggage! I think your cars will be all fine with the solution you found there! Let's see in 3 months' time!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Eagle
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All American Racers
United States of America

Post by Eagle »

Is there any material placed in between the bottom of the model chassis and the cardboard? I strongly suggest you use a spacer material, bouncing down the road will stress the suspension and may cause it to break.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I think you fixed the model with screws to the bottom, but be award, technicaly you only fixed the bottom of the model! Some support underneeth the rear wings is a must have too, even from the sides of the wings. I would place a stripe in square way over the model to ensure that the bodywork can not rip off the bottom. I use plastik bags for this, cutted into stripes and fixed with tape to the bottom plate, it is soft enough to ensure that the paint job gets no scratches.
Take a stand!

Topic author
BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

This deserves an update..

So I was partially successful...
In addition to what I wrote above, I heeded your advice and put a piece of cardboard underneath the cars and put painters masking tape in a roll (so it became double sided) between the it and the cars so they were effectively resting on both the cardboard and the wheels BUT what I forgot was to ensure the cars could not rotate themselves away from the masking tape I had put over the wheels.
When they did that, there was very little preventing them from becoming completely loose, and make like George Russell in Imola.
However, half the cars survived without damage, and the other half soon joined them in the display case, so all good in the end :)

Except the F1.08 which still needs a rebuild...
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

To bad a few of your models had damage, but nothing to bad i quess..
I had to do the same couple of months ago, moving from the Netherlands to Austria. I build some wooden boxes and filled them with foam, cutted out areas for the models. Went pretty well.
Attachments
20210123_105526.jpg

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

i used soft metal wire pinned through foam to hold everything in place. holding just the wheels down seems like it's asking for trouble.

klinad
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH
China

Post by klinad »

I guess sponge will always do the trick. I sent built models several times via post services, I put the models into equipment boxes and use the sponge in it to fix the models, kinda like what Hein have done.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

BMW, Hein, did you both take them onboard on a flight? My fears comes from having to pack them and take them as hand luggage on long-haul flights, if I were to drive I'd definitely feel more at ease and packing would be easier.
Hein, the foam inside the wooden box is a great solution but I doubt that can be done on a flight, they would probably stop me because either the size or the weight.

Edit: sorry, I have just read BMW you loaded your models on a van. I wish I were able to do the same but China - Italy would be a little harsh on the engine :lol: .
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Corpsegrinder, i put them in several wooden boxes with the rest of our stuff on a truck. I was there together with the driver with loading and unloading so made sure no one throwing it around.