wip FW13B

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2008 Group Build.

Topic author
garymc
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gary McIntyre
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren, Senna
United States of America

wip FW13B

Post by garymc »

Here we go,Decided to add this one to the group build while i wait for some parts to arrive for my lotus 25.Have done alot of cf to under tray and monocoque added a great set of rb motion shocks that work and added seatbelts and tryed to texture the seat that came out alright and cf the seat surround.All the cf decal is from scale motorsports,still waiting for the yellow kevlar decal for the side pods.Has anyone ever used air conditioning aluminum duct tape? it works great for the simulated heat insulator on the undertray and is alot cheaper than bare metal foil, about $6.00 for a roll that will last along time,it is 2 inches wide and about 30 feet long and alittle thicker so can't be used for some things.Does anyone have any pictures of the engine transmission and the front suspension under the cowl,would like to detail these areas but have no references.Thanks for any help.

Regards,Gary

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

RE: wip FW13B

Post by CaptainMark »

Looking good so far!
Good luck finding reference pics, they're like hens teeth. I'll have a search in my meagre archives and see if I have any left.
Image Image

tgoncalves
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tgoncalves »

Thanks , nice tip on the tape there !

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by chongman »

Very nice!

Could you give us some more views of the RB Motion shock installation?
When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting Steve McQueen 1971

Topic author
garymc
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

Re: RE: wip FW13B

Post by garymc »

chongman wrote:Very nice!

Could you give us some more views of the RB Motion shock installation?
My camera and i don't get along on close ups but I did get some.the installation went easy had to cut off the cast shock assembly and notch the arm,same on trans shock mount then drilled holes and used scale hardware bolts to hold inplace.The shocks take a night to assemle for the epoxy to dry ,you have to compress the spring while you assemble but the instructions give you an easy way of doing this.

Regards,Gary

tgoncalves
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

RE: Re: RE: wip FW13B

Post by tgoncalves »

How did you texture the seat over there ?

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by chongman »

Very cool on the shock pictures, thanks!

I have some of them for a future project (Wolf WR1) and have read the directions supplied with from RBM. Did you find any problems in assembly or have any tips for us?
When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting Steve McQueen 1971

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

chongman....i have some shocks too.....they are great,robs work is great....hows 1/12 mech going....joe

chongman
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: RE: Re: RE: wip FW13B

Post by chongman »

woodgp wrote:chongman....i have some shocks too.....they are great,robs work is great....hows 1/12 mech going....joe
The dude is still in the putty stage :wink:

Topic author
garymc
World Champion
World Champion
United States of America

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: wip FW13B

Post by garymc »

The seat i used white flour sprinkled over a real wet coat of flat black paint,let dry ,knocked of the excess and air brushed flat black again,the results are not bad but this was the first time i tried this.The shocks are easy to assemble just follow the directions on the jigg to help with assembly,it will require a small drill bit and 2 small brads stuck into a small block of wood.Only 2 pieces require glue which i used 5 minute epoxy on.The drill bit is used to push the center shaft up threw the shock body and hold it fully extended while you compress the spring with a wire tied to the brads so you can glue the end cap inplace,alot easier than it sounds.Hope this helps alittle,also does anybody know where or how the rods that come off the rear torsion bar attach to,the bar crosses over the transmission with 2 arms attached at either end and rods that drop down the side of the transmission but can't see where or what they attach to,I have only found 1 picture of the engine and it doesn't show very much of this area.Thanks for any help.

Regards,Gary