JamesB Lotus 79B 1979 late; OSO kitbash (2008 Group Build)

Forum for post, WIPs, and completed models for the 2008 Group Build.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

JamesB Lotus 79B 1979 late; OSO kitbash (2008 Group Build)

Post by JamesB »

OK, here we go.
As there seemed to be a consensus about that Ty010, even better than an FW07 are a good base to develope an acceptable Lotus 79, and given the "true" ones are a bit expensive, I think it'll be nice to do one from a Ty010 -given I have some of them ;-)- so let's go. We have a pair of modified Ty010s, some suspension own created parts and some resin parts, together with an ALPS printed set of MARTINI decals.
Given the material we come from, accuracy won't be a priority.
Thanks in advance to Jhabig as inspirational source of the decals -he asked for a similar set- and supplier of gearbox.
The ty010 was modified differently for both cars: anyway, in both of them, silicone cubes were placed strategically in the mould so additional radiator exits were created -removing material from solid resin is nasty- since the 79 has them placed backwards respect to FW07 and/or Ty010.
Where the cars were not the same is regarding bodywork behind driver. In one case this was removed by hand after the moulding: nasty as I said. On the other car, some modeling plasticine was also placed in the mould so this section was easily -well, almost!-removed afterwards.
Not much more to say right now.
OK, bring'em on!! :)

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

RE: JamesB Lotus 79B 1979 late; OSO kitbash (2008 Group Buil

Post by Jacques »

Wow James,what a very interesting project my friend !

I look forward to read more and of course, you can count me on your "customer's list" as usual.

Don't forget that the Lotus 79b had some different radiator openings on the top of the side pods. For the moment, I am modifiying my scrapped Studio27 Lotus 79 Full metal to a Lotus 79b Watkins Glen version. It's quite easy to change it. Than the most difficult part will be to adapt the motor, Lotus 80/81 gearbox and the external rear brakes...

Jacques
Jacques

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well, just a humble kitbash, my friend! As I said, it does not intend to be a very acurate, so a not saleable thing, I'll be happy if it looks half as good as your Watkins car :)

sh-modeling
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by sh-modeling »

That's a nice project. I played with the idea of using a Factory T'z Lotus 79 for this, of course with self made ALPS decals... Do you intend to sell these decals? That would save me some time...
Best wishes,
Steffen

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Cool project!
Image Image

JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Lotus 79

Post by JM »

Hi
this is a project I have on my list for about 10 years. Back then I bought FW07 kits as base for 1978 JPS, 1979 Martini and 1978/79 Rebaque versions. Having got a S27 kit at a reasonable price reduces the work a bit and gives kind of a template :D. James' decals will be a great help as well as the S27 Lotus 80 decals I got do not include Carlos Reutemann's markings and not the correct red/blue stripes.
Having several other projects on the work bench (in fact I'm currently jumping between 9 kits) I will not start the Lotus theme right now. But having obviously some experts on this thread I would like to place a question here. How were the radiator openings on the top of the side pods for the GP of Spain in 1979 on Reutemann's car (Mario was driving the Lotus 80 there)? Single big ones or the divided ones as on James' resine bodies? How where the openings on the Rebaque car of 1979?
Jens

Jacques
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Jacques
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
France

RE: Lotus 79

Post by Jacques »

Hi JM,

both cars had the big single radiator openings on the sidepods. And also the cars had inside brakes as on the Lotus 79 of 1978...they had the external brakes and rear wing similar to the Lotus 81 only in Monza and Watkins Glen.

Jacques
Jacques

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes, In fact the pictures of my dummies are misleading: it might look coola s if the "double" opening ios already made, but actually it's just a modification in the mould so it's easier to remove resin and make the radiator opening bigger and placed backwards... ;-)
And I'd say that the 1978 79 car had the double opening just in some races... There'll be people who knows deeper about this.