Tamiya 1/12 312T4 Resurrection

Finished models...

amerikalei
F3
F3
Your Name: Fred
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: John Surtees. Chris Amon. McLaren in the original papaya, although I do like Lando Norris in today's field.
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/12 312T4 Resurrection

Post by amerikalei »

Nice. I have this kit. Someday...

Topic author
Senna4Ever
F3
F3
Your Name: Mike
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1/12 312T4 Resurrection

Post by Senna4Ever »

Joaquin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:58 pm Have you used any product to disassemble the parts without damaging? I have some old kits I would like to restore but I'm afraid to break parts.
Time ago I remember a member that used an ultrasonic machine to remove paint and parts became disassembled
I used a product from Bob Smith Industries called "Un-Cure". It's supposed to be for CA glue but not knowing what this one was originally built with, I thought it was worth a try. It worked quite well, actually but I did damage some parts beyond repair, particularly the smaller ones such as the fuel pump, fuel injectors and exhaust brackets. I have a 3D printer so was able to replicate them.

Some notes about the Un-Cure. It will leave a mess behind. White marks on bare plastic that look similar to oxidization. Sanding and priming will take care of them. The glue you are un-curing will become a mushy mess which I had to scrape off with a blade. Also, the Un-Cure is quite thin, almost water so it runs out of the bottle quite quickly. And...it smells like dead fish! 🤢

I have an ultrasonic cleaner but never tried that. I have also heard of putting parts in the freezer and leaving them overnight. Never tried that one, either, so don't send your lawyers after me if it doesn't work! 😂
"..he beat me, yes, and in France… but it didn't worry me. I knew I'd been beaten by the best driver in the world." -Rene Arnoux on Gilles Villeneuve