daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Re: 1/12th MFH Porsche 917K

Post by daves »

Both doors needed a lot of work. Glad they were soft metal so easy to bend. Even with all my work, they still did not fit as they should. I wish they would cast them in resin and check the fit at the factory.
Not looking forward the my 962 build. I have heard the doors do not fit. If so I will leave this one as an open display.

Dave

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Great builds

The 962 was horrible in fit and I complained to Hiro about the 3D printer marks in the resin

I have just got the 935 moby Dick car and again baffles me in the white metal hood, the doors are resin and the rear compartment cover too and their fit is perfect

Never will understand their need on the WM body parts, their resin fitment is perfect in most kits

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

The 155 Alfa too, front hood, all four doors resin, fir some unknown reason the trunk is WM

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Nice one! Hope I do mine soon.
Sennafan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:28 pm I Never will understand their need for the WM body parts, their resin fitment is perfect in most kits
Mclaren F1 GTR has resin doors and the fitment was terrible. :)
Sennafan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:29 pm The 155 Alfa too, front hood, all four doors resin, fir some unknown reason the trunk is WM
Alfa's 155 doors' upper parts are WM too, and this is the major fit problem, of this kit.

By the way, the 33 Stradale and 512S have unique hybrid (resin & metal) bodies, but I don't build them, yet. Hope is a good solution.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

daves wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:51 pm Both doors needed a lot of work. Glad they were soft metal so easy to bend. Even with all my work, they still did not fit as they should. I wish they would cast them in resin and check the fit at the factory.
Not looking forward the my 962 build. I have heard the doors do not fit. If so I will leave this one as an open display.

Dave
My pet peeve with these kits.. wm doors. However, I think with the 956/962 the doors should be less of an issue than with the 917 as the bottom end is rather flat and angular where they are all curved on the various 917s. I started working on one door of the 1970 LH one time and after a day of fettling with it my blood was boiling and I put that kit aside. On the mention of the 512S hybrid doors. That would be something to check. How was the fit of yours in that regard? At least the bottom half should be relatively ok. Again, similar angular shape with just a curved upper bit. I haven't checked fit on mine yet.
But all that b!tching and moaning aside, you did an awesome job on this one and its two brethren in the other thread. How many of the 917s have you done up yet? I think I remember the 1970 Hippie LH, the /30, the 1971 winner (this) and of course the McQueen #20!
Cheers,
Roman

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Post by daves »

I have completed 917/10, 917/30, 917 Hippy, 917 Pink Pig, 917K Martini, 917K #20. All in 1/12th. Currently working on the 1/8th 917K subscription kit. I think that will be enough.
BTW, the fit on the 512S doors was not good. if only they would stick to resin.

Dave

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Had no problem with F1 GTR doors, the Alfa 155 window frames are WM but they always need some work

The 330 P4 has resin doors, no issue with those

Only had problems with the weight and fitment of the WM ones, they can be reworked but why?

The attachment designs are not good for most of these doors