Tamiya 1:2O Lotus JPS Mk.III & Pit Crew

Finished models...

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Tamiya 1:2O Lotus JPS Mk.III & Pit Crew

Post by dr_gn »

Bit of a blast from the past - not "serious" modelling, but something I thought was nice to look at from when modelling was a simple case of sticking bits of plastic together and painting them over a couple of days...

Back in about 1980 when I was 9 years old, I built this Tamiya JPS Mk.III (Lotus 78) for my Dad as an Easter present. I think it was the first Tamiya kit I ever built, and the most complicated at the time, but I remember I loved building it:

I think the same year, for Christmas, I got the the Tamiya Pit Crew set, so obviously painted them in JPS Lotus colours. I made this diorama, with everything stuck to some plywood:

I dug it out of the loft at my Mum’s house yesterday, washed about 2mm of dust off it, and repaired the damaged bits as best I could. I think the only thing missing is one of the bodywork stands.

After 40 years, the kits themselves still compare well with state of the art, the pit crew details are fascinating (even though the building and painting obviously leave a lot to be desired). Seems a shame to put it back in the loft.

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Re: Tamiya 1:2O Lotus JPS Mk.III & Pit Crew

Post by MPK »

The very same kit is my first F1 car, built it in 1980 when I was twelve. Loved every minute with it. Continued with 1/20 Martini Porsche 935 Turbo, and moved about decade later into 1/12 scale.
Matti

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Looks great! I'm all the more impressed that you built this when you were 9.

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Geez...This Lotus was my first 'proper' kit too! :lol:
I also badgered my parents for the Tamiya pit crew.
I too, still have that diorama boxed up in the shed, although I built a pair of Tamiya 312T3's with my crew.
Yours looks great and all things considered has stood the test of time extremely well.
This does prove a point though...they may be amongst our first models but by no means do they mean any less to us than the MFH kit we finished last week.
Some of my first models (the survivors), are still in my cabinet sharing the space with my most recent.
I hope your Lotus and team find a worthy place in your collection...away from your mothers loft :lol:
Cheers
Tim

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

MPK wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:04 pm The very same kit is my first F1 car, built it in 1980 when I was twelve. Loved every minute with it. Continued with 1/20 Martini Porsche 935 Turbo, and moved about decade later into 1/12 scale.
Nice! I built the Matchbox Martini 935, but it didn't survive. I've always wanted to build the Tamiya version (is it 1:20 or 1:24?). I remember watching the real cars race at the Silverstone 6 hours back in the 1970's - great memories of an iconic car.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

marlborored wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 am Looks great! I'm all the more impressed that you built this when you were 9.
To be fair I'd built many, many model aircraft kits by then, from a very early age. My parents had a Chemist's shop, and always had a few plastic kits on sale too - so I had an almost infinite supply back then! It was just a simple pleasure of building and painting over an evening. I remember putting 100% effort into that Lotus - it may have even been more than a day's work! It's a very long way from perfect, but I still like looking at it...

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

fastbackfreddie wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:38 am Geez...This Lotus was my first 'proper' kit too! :lol:
I also badgered my parents for the Tamiya pit crew.
I too, still have that diorama boxed up in the shed, although I built a pair of Tamiya 312T3's with my crew.
Yours looks great and all things considered has stood the test of time extremely well.
This does prove a point though...they may be amongst our first models but by no means do they mean any less to us than the MFH kit we finished last week.
Some of my first models (the survivors), are still in my cabinet sharing the space with my most recent.
I hope your Lotus and team find a worthy place in your collection...away from your mothers loft :lol:
Cheers
Tim
That's two people on this thread for whom it was their first F1 car...must be something in that? Iconic livery? "exotic" kit manufacturer? Who knows?

I've got a couple of old aircraft models out on display from my early modelling days. Like you I still like to look at them, and they also gave as much pleasure to knock together as a multi-year detail job of today. Fraction of the cost though!

Yes, I think I'll keep it out, hopefully it will survive another 40 years, by which time I will be 90...if I get that far. Scary thought.

Cheers.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

dr_gn wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:53 pm
That's two people on this thread for whom it was their first F1 car...must be something in that? Iconic livery? "exotic" kit manufacturer? Who knows?
Statistics, I suppose. :wink: It was one of the first and yes, iconic and visually flashy and being released while Mario and Ronnie won every other Sunday.

Anyway. Moving story, really nice to close the circle. :D

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

dr_gn wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pm
MPK wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:04 pm The very same kit is my first F1 car, built it in 1980 when I was twelve. Loved every minute with it. Continued with 1/20 Martini Porsche 935 Turbo, and moved about decade later into 1/12 scale.
Nice! I built the Matchbox Martini 935, but it didn't survive. I've always wanted to build the Tamiya version (is it 1:20 or 1:24?). I remember watching the real cars race at the Silverstone 6 hours back in the 1970's - great memories of an iconic car.
I still have two Matchbox 1/32, one or two Tamiya 1/20 and two 1/12 935 kits.
Tamiya has done both, 1/20 headlights are similar to 1/12 kit and 1/24 has round headlights like the Matchbox kit.
Matti

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great find, so nice to have something like that survive from one's youth- and may I add, great build for a 9-year old!!