MFH 1/12 Williams FW16 San Marino (Damon Hill)

Finished models...

Topic author
Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

MFH 1/12 Williams FW16 San Marino (Damon Hill)

Post by Hugeprong »

Finally finished this project on Monday after a six week build. After having completed the MFH Jaguar XJR-9 a few weeks previously, this was a refreshing and (fairly) straightforward build of a really attractive car. I could not bring myself to complete it as the Senna entry at San Marino for obvious reasons and so whilst it is certainly a tribute to him, it is also nice to celebrate Damon Hill – another World Champion. (Perhaps controversially, I still believe that Schumacher should have had points deducted for his actions in Adelaide in 1994 and if so, this would have been Damon's first Drivers’ Championship Winning Car).

This kit certainly had its challenges (see below) but overall I found it a rewarding experience and I think the final product looks an excellent replica of the real thing. I built it pretty much out of the box and I used Zero paints with their Two Pack Diamond lacquer. I chose to insert two magnets behind the front footwell bulkhead and two more inside the nosecone so that it attaches without locating pins. (I always lose these over time!) I added detailing to the front suspension and bulkhead areas and spent many days working on the plumbing and wiring around the sidepods and the engine. In the end I felt the effort was worth it - although at times I began to wonder if it was ever going to end!

I was delighted by the decals which fitted, and settled down, really well with a little red Microsol and a hairdryer. I was expecting more problems here. Likewise I loved the little mechanism with a lever that protrudes from the floor of the car that allows you to “suck” in the sidepods by about 1cm overall. A really clever detail - as it enables you to put on and take off the top bodywork without it fouling all the detailing work in the sides of the sidepods. Having spent so long working on that area, it would drive me to tears if I knocked some of it off in order to display it!

I struggle to upload photos to the site (as they are always too large) but my photographs of the build can be found at;

https://hhms.info/recent-projects

I had three major issues during the build (and a fourth that was my fault entirely);

1. I found that the two small pieces of rear bodywork that attach to the underside of the two driveshaft shrouds ended up 2mm wider than the main bodywork on both sides. These parts fit into locating holes on the underside of the driveshaft shrouds and as the shrouds fitted perfectly to the gearbox (and the gearbox fitted perfectly to the floor) I am pretty sure that the holes themselves were mis-sited. I don’t know what other people who have built this car think but if I were building the model again, I would drill my own holes 2mm inside the marks on the shroud pieces. This would lead to some additional hassle as the various pipes and supports will all have to be shortened but it would certainly neaten up this area. Thankfully though, the rear wheels hide this gap pretty effectively.

2. I found the fit of the “clamshell” rear bodywork around the cockpit was not great – particularly on the right side where there is a 0.7mm “step” between the two parts. I tried to obtain a better fit with repeated dry-fittings and some gentle sanding but didn’t want to sand TOO much away as I didn’t want to create more problems in this highly visible area. In the end, to secure the clamshell body around the cockpit and the front part of the airbox (and at the same time make the parts fit as tightly as possible), I used two 2mm x 1cm screws which pass through the outer bodyshell through the two points on either side and then enter both sides of the cockpit itself below the mirrors. Not only did this secure the bodywork tightly but they also enable me to remove the bodywork quickly and easily if I want to display the sidepod and engine work underneath. Even then, the one piece bodyshell also did not fit the one piece floor shape very well - or the driveshaft shrouds. In the end I concluded that my entire rear cowling must have been slightly misshapen.

3. The third issue I had was the alignment of the rear wing. The assembly itself was fine so long as you made sure that the two lower “v” wings had the exact same width as the top horizontal wing. However both of mine required some "bending" to fit each other and also to achieve the correct width and it is possible I didn’t get resulting central angle exactly symmetrical. Whatever, whilst the wing is exactly vertical and front of the wing is at right angles to the centreline of the car, the top wing still “leans” a little to the car's right by about 0.5mm. My son couldn’t spot it but to me it is really obvious!! (I always find that we modellers are our own worst enemy. When I look at my own models, all I see is the things I could have done better – and I ignore all the bits that are done well.)

4. There are two horizontal “shields” along the bottom of each camcover with cutouts for a hydraulic cylinder. These attach to the camcovers with 4 1/12 scale “bolts” and nothing else. I SHOULD have attached these when initially attaching the camcovers but chose to leave them until later so as to make attachment of the exhausts underneath easier. However I found that I had no way to support these parts when trying to align and glue them. I tried and tried and in the end started to experiment with plastic strips and things – all to no avail. I even tried to prop them on wires sticking up from the floor - and managed to dislodge an entire bank of exhausts!! If you have the car in your stash – please don’t do what I did. Get them on early and maybe attach the hydraulic cylinders later on. Whatever you do, it will be less hassle than they were for me!!!

OK that’s enough. I hope you like it. If you are building this car and have any questions by all means get in touch here or privately through my site itself.

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Re: MFH 1/12 Williams FW16 San Marino (Damon Hill)

Post by marlborored »

Beautiful build!!

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

You did all that in 6 weeks? That is as impressive as your build is. I like the Damon Hill car. He was very underrated for a World Champ. I cannot imagine what the pressure was like for him in 94. But he came out on top. A very nice build, sir.

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

Very nice model. Back then I ordered the Brazil ver. It's still in the box because I'm not ready yet. I followed a WIP on FB that had significant problems with the decals. To be on the safe side, I got myself a second decal sheet. Thanks for sharing the problems you encountered. Build another Hiro model, if so which one!
Seema

Alex_Kung
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Alex Kung
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Ferrari
Canada

Post by Alex_Kung »

Very nicely done.

6 weeks?? Did you even sleep?

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

Beautiful build!

Pascal
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice and quick build!
Take a stand!

Topic author
Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

Thank you for your comments.

When I get really "hooked" into a project I can easily spend 2 or 3 hours a day beavering away and so - to me - lockdown has had an upside insofar that my projects pick up a real momentum and in many cases in smaller scales, I have finished them within a week.

In my experience, the area that causes the most trouble on 1/12 MFH kits are turbo installations. Tiny misalignments, slightly misshapen parts and slightly unclear instructions combine in an area with parts essentially floating in space with little strength and little room for adjustment. (This is as true for their sportscar models as it is for F1 subjects.) Thankfully, of course, the FW16 doesnt have any. That saved a couple of weeks at least!

This kit certainly had its challenges - but in general was not particularly difficult and the part count was not sky high. I did litle in the way of enhancing the model out of the box (except around the front suspension) and as no business trips or holidays seemed to get in the way (!) it came together pretty swiftly.

Next on my list is the Tyrrell 006 - or the Mclaren M26... Just dont know. I was thinking this morning (perhaps rather heretically for this site!) that I might actually build a plane for a change!

I would love to know if others have a disciplined schedule for their stash and if so, how they put together a "batting order" for their model builds. In my case, I just have no idea what I will build next. I generally decide at the last moment using "eeny, meeny, miney, mo"!!

HUGO

Hugo's Huge Model Show - https://hhms.info/

https://hhms.info/

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Nice build there Hugo.
I like the 1/12 Mfh Lotus 97T Portugal version.
I am going to build this one soon as its in the stash! 👍

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello Hugo,

you did a stunning job; I like the work on the pictures too.

Cheers.

Franck
www.gf-models.eu