Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Lee Hoe Yen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Singapore

Protar Alfa Romeo 179

Post by mazyen »

HI,
Here are the completed photos of my restored 179 by Protar which was built in 1986 when I was working in Bahrain. This kit has endured a few house moves & was sitting in a drawer at its present location for over 2 decades. It was originally built as a 179C, which was wrong, as sliding skirts were banned in 1981. The cowling was cracked & lots of suspension tie rods were broken & has to be replaced. The tires were also "punctured' & replaced with a resin set. Italeri was also kind enough to sell be a set of decals for this project. The chassis was also resprayed & detailed but I did not bother to do the wiring & plumbing as this will be displayed with cowling on. Perhaps another time when I'm in the mood.
Cheers
Lee

Here's the link to the high res photos: - https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUjP3HZ
Attachments
P9340647a.jpg
P9340653a.jpg
P9340649a.jpg
IMG_2440a.jpg
P9330779a.jpg
Last edited by mazyen on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grypham
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Canada

Re: Protar Alfa Romeo 179

Post by Grypham »

Beautiful job on the restoration! I can see many subtle detailing items. I wasn't aware this kit couldn't easily be made as a 179C ... more research required I guess. I have two old Protars in the stash, and was hoping to do both variants. May I ask what paint you used on the body shell, and also what you used as a "model" for your resin tire replacements?
Nice to know that Italeri was willing to sell decals as well.

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

Beautiful (re)build!
The wheels are far better!

Bravo.

Pascal
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

atlantakat11
Formula e
Formula e

Post by atlantakat11 »

Grypham wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 pm Beautiful job on the restoration! I can see many subtle detailing items. I wasn't aware this kit couldn't easily be made as a 179C ... more research required I guess. I have two old Protars in the stash, and was hoping to do both variants. May I ask what paint you used on the body shell, and also what you used as a "model" for your resin tire replacements?
Nice to know that Italeri was willing to sell decals as well.
I think the Protar 179 and 179C kits are identical except for the nose, front spoiler and decals. The Italeri re-release has both configurations and both sets of decals (plus tobacco). If you take a look at the Italeri instruction booklet for the kit, it calls out the couple of differences in the two configurations (as did the Protar instructions -- mine from at 179 kit were actually for the 179 with a couple inserts for the older car). I also think the tyres should be Goodyears in 79-80 year and Michelins for 1981.

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

Hi Grypham & Thank you.
All paints were from Tamiya TS. TS49 Red was used. However, the photos (some taken in daylight & artificial light) did not capture the tone & brightness of it properly. The resin tires were bought from ebay a couple of years back. They came in 2 halves each.
Cheers

Topic author
mazyen
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Singapore

Post by mazyen »

I think the Protar 179 and 179C kits are identical except for the nose, front spoiler and decals. The Italeri re-release has both configurations and both sets of decals (plus tobacco). If you take a look at the Italeri instruction booklet for the kit, it calls out the couple of differences in the two configurations (as did the Protar instructions -- mine from at 179 kit were actually for the 179 with a couple inserts for the older car). I also think the tyres should be Goodyears in 79-80 year and Michelins for 1981.
[/quote]

I've downloaded the instruction sheets for the Italeri release. It does have 2 different set of decals, rear & front wings for the 2 versions. However, the sliding skirts applies for both versions & instruction only calls for sanding off the Michelin markings on the tire sidewalls & apply Good Year decals. As you are aware the profile of both these tires are different.
Cheers

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

It would be nice to see more resin wheels and tire options for our kits. The chances they will degrade with age are just exceptionally low.

atlantakat11
Formula e
Formula e

Post by atlantakat11 »

cbk57 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm It would be nice to see more resin wheels and tire options for our kits. The chances they will degrade with age are just exceptionally low.
Check these out:

https://www.iconautomotiveminiatures.com/shop

Although it looks like Derek may no longer have tyres for the 179 available -- only wheels. :(

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Looks great!!

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice Restoration, Tyres look great 8) .