Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: AMD 1/20 Benetton B190

Post by daveyman »

Thanks for all the nice feedback. Appreciate it.
Jeff, I bought the Zero Benetton paint set but I thought the green was too dark for this csr, the set is advertised with the B188 so it maybe a slightly different shade that year. I ended up using the Zero Jordan 191 green and blue and the red and yellow from the Benetton set. Hope this helpful to you, you say you have this kit. It's a good solid kit, no real build issues. Gearbox location is a bit vague and I had to remove some resin from the inside of the body to get a good fit but it was OK. Also be careful with the seat, when it sits in its position it holds the undertray clear of the chassis. Lots of check fitting is advised.
If you've got better quality decals you are a lucky man. The AMD ones were a challenge.
Thanks again for your kind comments and I look forward to seeing your Benetton one day...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looks nice Dave, only the rear wing looks a bit high positioned. Any fitting issues with that?
Take a stand!

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks, think it could just be the way it's seen in the picture. Rear wing is sat square, upright and the right height. Fitted OK onto its mounting points. Wires that secure it to the body are as supplied in the kit but looking at them now they are a bit too big, I'd go for thinner wire if I built it again.

Jeff_G
F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

http://imgur.com/a/SVggntl

Here are the 2 sets of decals. The AMC ones on top have several of the decals smaller than the AMD ones. The AMC set is not as comprehensive, though. I'll be representing the B190 at the French GP, but haven't begun looking at those particular markings yet.

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Oh those decals look so much sharper. Envious!!!
If you need reference material the GP car story bookazine on the B190 is well recommended. Why the French GP if you don't mind me asking?

Jeff_G
F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

That book is on my shopping list for sure. 1990 has some of the best looking cars ever in my opinion. The French GP that year was such an unusual race with Capelli almost winning despite not even qualifying the race prior. Once I had quite a few 1990 cars in my collection, I decided to focus on that year only. I like doing research, so I narrowed it down even more to the one race just to give me one more obstacle. My goal is to do as many cars as possible from that race, even pre-qual cars. I am working on the Life L190 now, and also a scratch built/ 3d printed Minardi M190. I currently have 4 cars complete, and another 12 teams represented either by an unbuilt kit or decals, missing only the Eurobrun, Osella, and Dallara.

Topic author
daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Yes, I remember now about your plan, I was intrigued as to the French GP aspect as I couldn't remember the Benetton doing anything significant there but it makes sense now that it's your target to make all the cars from that GP. It was a very unusual race wasn't it, very memorable. I have a similar plan to make cars from the 1989 season but it seems my last three builds have been 1990 cars. Made the Lotus, Benetton and now into the Ferrari.
Keep posting, would love to see how you are getting on with the Life.

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Nice work!

DasWiesel
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Julian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sauber
Germany

Post by DasWiesel »

What a beautiful Benetton! Looking at today´s poor F1 cars, I miss that great, colourful livery.
Nannini had some great races in 1990. I wonder how his F1 career could have developed, if he hadn´t that terrible accident. :(