F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Arrows A11b 1/20

Post by Jeff_G »

All wrapped up with a bow on it!

This is my Arrows A11b, 1990 French GP, driven by the late, great Michele Alboreto.

The kit was purchased off of Yahoo Japan using Buyee. When I received it, the only usable part was the body. The other parts were too crude for use or badly warped.

My 3d printer was used for the entire undertray and diffuser, front wing, radiator sidepod inlets, top airscoop, and dash. Much sanding and filling was needed to refine the shape, and I think it looks ok.

Suspension is largely from Tamiya's FW13b. I am most happy with the work needed to get the car to sit right.

Paint is Zero brilliant white, and a mix of Mission and Vallejo for the rest. Decals are Studio 27.

This is the 4th car in my long term project, which is representing the 1990 French GP, which I believe was one of the most extraordinary and exciting races in F1 history. I am only doing one car from each team. I am saving the Ferrari, Leyton House, and Bennetton until last and my skills improve. Next up will most likely be a back marker. :wink:

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Re: Arrows A11b 1/20

Post by vekkuli »

Very nice indeed :) . These futuristic Builds with using 3D Printer for "cloning" Parts are very interesting, only here in F-land 3D Printer costs as much as decent Laptop Computer still.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Looks great! Nice clean build and you can't really tell how mixed of a kit it is either!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

It turned out fantastic. Amazing if you consider the quality of the kit you have started with.
I don't think you have to worry about your skills. :wink:

I wonder how the red color looks compared with the McLaren?
On the last picture it almost seems to be pink compared with the McLaren in the background.

So, a backmarker next.
Are you also going to build non-qualifiers? In that case there are four cars coming to my mind. Otherwise there would be only the Brabham.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Very nice, such a pleasure to see a build as good as this of a back marker. Which kit do you have for the Benetton? I'm currently building the B190 myself.

Topic author
Jeff_G
F2
F2
Your Name: Jeff_G
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Benetton F1
United States of America

Post by Jeff_G »

Thanks for the comments!
vekkuli wrote:These futuristic Builds with using 3D Printer for "cloning" Parts are very interesting, only here in F-land 3D Printer costs as much as decent Laptop Computer still.
My printer is very basic ($200 USD) and I still have to use good old fashioned modeling techniques to incorporate the parts I make. It's amazing to think how this technology will improve in the future.
daveyman wrote:Which kit do you have for the Benetton? I'm currently building the B190 myself.
I have the AMD kit, but was very lucky to get a set of AMC decals with it, as they look very nice.
Steffen_T wrote:I wonder how the red color looks compared with the McLaren?
On the last picture it almost seems to be pink compared with the McLaren in the background.

So, a backmarker next.
Are you also going to build non-qualifiers? In that case there are four cars coming to my mind. Otherwise there would be only the Brabham.
I used Zero on the McLaren too, and that is very florescent. The Arrows decals are more reddish, and in proper light look good to my eye.

I should have said non-qualifier rather than back marker, as this next project never was on anyone's back! The Life L190!!!

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks, I'm making the AMD kit too.
I'll put a brief WIP up here when I've made enough progress to warrant it.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Is this printed with a traditional 3D printer or SLA / resin? Very impressive!! I'm loving 3D printing stuff myself :)

Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Very nice, great job!

Maximus
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Maximus »

Thats a nice addition to a beautifully looking set of cars. Hope you can get yourself a 1990 Brabham....that was one pretty (if fairly useless) car.