JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Re: F1 car with a crooked decal?

Post by JM »

clark gb63.jpg
Not crooked but partially missing. At the 1965 British GP Jim Clark hat the upper part of the starting number missing on both sides. Probably a late change of the cowling.
BTW Clark won the race.
As it is an interesting little detail I did my Lotus 25 kit in this version.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Does the crooked yellow stripe on the P34s in Japan 1976 count? All this time i've been unhappy with the stripe on my kit not being perfectly vertical and i'm just now seeing that the real cars stripes weren't squared off either.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Is that really crooked. It seems to be deliberate since both cars are the same on both right an left sides. It appeared already at the Holland GP.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Well, the Tyrrell cars never had any good sticker placement. :)
The P34 is a good example, with the yellow stripe crowding the "elf" ahead of it.
And the Jackie Steward era also had the "elf" stickers also applied at random sides.

But never crooked though.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Orso wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm Is that really crooked. It seems to be deliberate since both cars are the same on both right an left sides. It appeared already at the Holland GP.

It's interesting as, earlier in the season they were nice and straight verticaly but late season: not so much. But the original question by Eric begs a similar question that I have always had of whether or not teams use laser levels or some such thing not only to keep markings straight but also for centering. Every time I apply a number decal to the nose of a kit, i phsyc myself out trying to get it centered and having shadow and light play havoc with me.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

bossy122 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:55 pm
Orso wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm Is that really crooked. It seems to be deliberate since both cars are the same on both right an left sides. It appeared already at the Holland GP.

It's interesting as, earlier in the season they were nice and straight verticaly but late season: not so much. But the original question by Eric begs a similar question that I have always had of whether or not teams use laser levels or some such thing not only to keep markings straight but also for centering. Every time I apply a number decal to the nose of a kit, i phsyc myself out trying to get it centered and having shadow and light play havoc with me.
In that era, all the decal/stickers were hand applied using the TLAR method. Laser levels had not been invented yet, but I know you will probably get dinged at a contest if everything is not square unless you provide evidence(like this photo) of dicrepancies.

By the way TLAR stands for That Looks About Right! :?