F3
F3
Your Name: Cristiano Molignoni
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet, Michael Schumacher
Brazil

Cutting Printer help

Post by cristiano.molignoni »

Hi guys

I looking to improve my masking techniques and I thinking buying a cutting printer, so I can create the masking forms better

So I need a cutting printer that allowed me to cut small circles and various shapes, but most important small shapes and circles

Does anybody do something similar?

For example: is it possible with a non professional cutter make a 1mm circle cut?

The attached file is a example of the shapes to be cut, the small circle has 1mm of height and width, I don't know if is possible this size or even smaller.

The material should be for example the Tamiya masking sheet and the carbon decal sheets available in the market

So I'll be glad if someone can help me identifying cutting printer models to buy.

Thanks for your help
Kind regards
Cristiano
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-04-21 160345.jpg

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Cutting Printer help

Post by bossy122 »

I have a Silhoutte cutter. It's a bit of a headache, but it works. The problem I have found is that the Tamiya sheets for masking are fairly thick and while they will cut, they won't give you a good fit over uneven surfaces. I don't know if there are thinner sheets out there ( anyone know of any?). It will cut fairly small shapes.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Is that cutting all the way through the backing paper or just the adhesive layer?

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Generally speaking it's possible. I also have a Silhouette cutter and use it to make masking templates or cut CF decals. These printers have their limitations of course. For small circles or circles in general I wouldn't get one. For small ones I'd use punch tools and for bigger ones a compass cutter. My Silhouette cutter tends to not make perfect circles ( the smaller the more it shows ). It's great for complex shapes though, especially when you need them mirrored.

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

What about Brother ScanNPlot?

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

indycals wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:12 pm Is that cutting all the way through the backing paper or just the adhesive layer?
You can set the blade for different materials. I'm lazy and mine cuts through both but the tape comes off fairly easy.....if the backing paper doesn't stick to the cutting board in the first place.

Topic author
cristiano.molignoni
F3
F3
Brazil

Thanks guys for your help

As I understand for shapes is ok as long the size not too small, like 1 or 2mm. From my search I discovered for the hobby use we have 3 brands

Cricut, Silhouette, Brother. Anyone has experience to know from these 3 the most precise for small cuts?

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

For very small circles, the Waldron punch and die set is exceptional, though they seem a bit hard to find anymore. Micro mark has their own style. https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Punch-Set
I have been using mine to punch out Bare Metal Foil dots for a long time. Old school, but sometimes that is best!

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

For very small circles, the Waldron punch and die set is exceptional, though they seem a bit hard to find anymore. Micro mark has their own style. https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Punch-Set
I have been using mine to punch out Bare Metal Foil dots for a long time. Old school, but sometimes that is best!

Topic author
cristiano.molignoni
F3
F3
Brazil

PeteJ wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:23 pm For very small circles, the Waldron punch and die set is exceptional, though they seem a bit hard to find anymore. Micro mark has their own style. https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Punch-Set
Nice tool, thanks for the tip