Good Year F1 tires sidewalls markings '82 - '92 ?

Ask away...

Topic author
gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Good Year F1 tires sidewalls markings '82 - '92 ?

Post by gilles.r »

Hi,
After ’82, the Good Year F1 tires had the GY name in white letters on the sidewalls
Then , Eagle appeared 1985 ? later ?
And later again, but when ? the embossment of F1 was seen just near Eagle, staying unpainted (as after ’93)

My question is :
Please,
when did GY add Eagle, then F1 on their tires sidewalls between ’85 and ’92 ?
Thank you in advance
Bye
Gilles
Attachments
gy 90 1.jpg
gy 90 1.jpg (45.1 KiB) Viewed 288 times
gy 84.jpg

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Re: Good Year F1 tires sidewalls markings '82 - '92 ?

Post by steinietrabi »

Eagle was already on the tires in 1984 - I think I saw some photos of Renault.
F1 is on the tires I think since 1986
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Nope... in fact Renault wore Michelin in 1984. :wink: Eagles started in 1985, to highlight the use of radials and the almost monopoly as Michelin withdrew at the end of 1984. But not sure if this fully answers the question by mon ami Gilles.
I have serious doubts on the presence of the raised “F1” regardless the fact it was never white anyway. Sure the way to know is to find good, close, well focused stationary pictures of a real, in-current-use tyre. I don´t trust isolates stuff as you are never sure of the real year, or if it´s a show or dummy thing...
Usually when I have found closer pics it seems there was really subtle raised letters. I think that when I investigated 1993 in cooperation with Icon, the 1993 tyres did not have raised letters, but just pinstripes. Though I might be wrong.
I recommend searching in pictures of sites such as Schlegelmilch, Motorsport, racefans...

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

I was misled by a wrong picture... here is a RE60 declared as RE50 in my opinion James ;)

https://www.motorsportimages.com/photos ... h=1984&p=4

I looked at a few more pictures from the corresponding years and can confirm my statement with the "F1" from above.
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes, Thomas :D correct, that RE60 is out of place... and season!
Look at the other renaults, RE50 with unmarked (michelin) tyres.
Nevertheless the RE60 pic is quite interesting. It shows how the letters, beside the template sprayed paint, have raised letters. And there seems to be no sign of the "F1" on them...

PS... to answer Gilles´question (I understand better now). EAGLE appeared in 1985. And was used throughout that period. ¨F1¨? NEVER. from 1993, letters became more like decals, probably tampography, more crisp, and yellow. Again, F1 never appeared till the withdraw at the end of 1998. At the same place Thomas linked, there´s a great pic of Schumi´s off in Jerez where you can see the front tyre quite well...

PS2... GOODYEAR used the "eagle F1" as a commercial brand that appeared on their street tyre adverts. Not in real F1, the rimless tyre you post, Gilles, is 100% probably NOT a real F1 tyre...

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

James, I did a fast search in some of my books after reading your reply, and found some old pictures of tyres with the embossed "F1". Here's in a 642/1 in 1990. Saw pictures of it in a B192, J191 and J192, some of them in worn raced tyres. Don't know if it was there before 1990, but if I find something, I'll post here. Don't know if Gilles was asking about the F1 logo to be painted just like the "Eagle" _that really never happened. Forgive me If I misunderstood your answer.
Attachments
641_pneu.jpg

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

On page 7 of Joe Honda's book 'Grand Prix cars 1988' there is a good picture showing the embossed F1 behind the white Eagle.
But I would guess they used it for all the years from 1985 to 1992. I have no idea how tires are made, but I am sure there is some kind of mold involved. So, they could have used the same tools for all those years, and then made a new set of tools for the arrival of the narrow tires in 1993.
This also means we might have to separat between slicks and rain tires.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

smirkoff wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:00 pmForgive me If I misunderstood your answer.
Honestly I doubt I understood it myself!! :lol: :lol:
smirkoff wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:00 pm James, I did a fast search in some of my books after reading your reply, and found some old pictures of tyres with the embossed "F1". Here's in a 642/1 in 1990. Saw pictures of it in a B192, J191 and J192, some of them in worn raced tyres. Don't know if it was there before 1990, but if I find something, I'll post here. Don't know if Gilles was asking about the F1 logo to be painted just like the "Eagle" _that really never happened.

Great info, thanks.
Honestly I meant the "F1" was never white, and I doubted the embossed was present. On the Fondmetal wheel that Gilles posted, its clearly absent. But on this Ferrari wheel (1989) it is quite obviously there.
Yes sure they used molds and probably they changed. I think it's hard to tell from a distance if the embossed is there or not. But I thought of a tip: as the full embossed stuff is done symmetrically, if the F1 is there, the painted EAGLE appears clearly tilted to the left. But on the Fondmetal wheel we can see the EAGLE and the Fondmetal are quite peefectly aligned and symmetrical.
Ah, the reason I discard the rimless tyre as a true F1 tyre is the nature of the letters rather than the embossed F1 :D
:roll: :roll: hmm we need bad to go out more, right? :roll:
:lol: :lol:

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

The F1 embossing was definitely available from 1985 and up until 1992.
There are several good pictures where this can be clearly seen up to the end of 1992.

And Steffen is right too, the "F1" embossing is not on the rain tires!
Greetings Thomas

Topic author
gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

Hi ,
I'ld like to send to everybody my great thanks for all the replies.
You have removed dougbts , one of them was because the "F1" embossing is not on the rain tires
Thank you again
bye
Gilles