Topic author
vassa
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari. Or any Australian driver
Australia

Vac formed parts

Post by vassa »

Hi Guys, can anyone give some tips on working with vaccum formed parts. Does anyone clear coat them to maintain the "nice clear look", and how to minimize finger prints?
Thanks heaps, your comments are very appreciated.

Regards Wayne
Regards Wayne

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Re: Vac formed parts

Post by ah100m »

Dip the part in Future and let it dry covered, like under a paper cup. Clears up minor imperfections. (Google "What is Future called now?". It's changed names several times recently, in different markets, and I can't keep track).

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

I also use some plastic polish once I am done with all the manipulation to get it sized, etc. You didn't really ask, but once bit of advice I gained was the following. I use Tamiya masking tape to "line" the edges of where the part should be cut (as seen by the indentations on the formed part), and then I use my sharpest scissors to cut along the tape that has been marked as the appropriate edge. I also like to leave just a bit that I can also sand off smooth for final fitting with some sort of emery board/pad. And let me finish this post with stating I absolutely hate working with vacuformed parts.

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Post by ah100m »

If the part requires any paint, like a black border around the edge, don't try to paint it directly on the part. Rather, find a spare decal of the right color and size and cut it from there and apply it to the clear part. Fail-safe. Wrong color/too small? Paint either on solid-color or clear decal film (use enamel or acrylic as they don't get as brittle as lacquer), cut out and apply. Or on a spare decal. I'm also an aircraft modeler and it's the ONLY way to do cockpit canopy frames.