Lotus 72 number question

Ask away...

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Lotus 72 number question

Post by bossy122 »

Hello! I just bought an Ebbro Lotus 72E kit and while looking through ref pics, the JPS cars had such a variety of numbers and I have always wondered why. I got into F1 in the early 80s, so I am not familiar with the rules of the 70s so if anyone could explain why I see so many different numbers on the 72s, I would be grateful for the knowledge. I do realize that Lotus ran the 72s for, oh, about 10 seasons, it seems, but I still see more numbers than seasons.

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Lotus 72 number question

Post by ronnie1972 »

Numbers in races were assigned for various reasons until the mid-late 70’s. Where drivers or constructors finished in a particular race the previous year, previous years results in the drivers championship, or constructors championship etc,. Until the mid seventies race numbers varied from race to race. In the fifties & sixties cars often had different numbers between practice days and race days! The spare cars often had completely different numbers to the intended race cars. F1, and racing as a whole wasn’t as clinical, regulated, uniform, and sanitized as it is today. Individual countries, track owners, and organizers had their own regulations, and policies.

RichardIII
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda
Germany

Post by RichardIII »

I'll have a go here:
From 1974 on, the constructors had their numbers assigned for the full season. The order was based on the constructors' championship ranking from 1973. Although in 1973 for most of the season the drivers had fix numbers already. Since the '73 drivers WC (Stewart) had retired and Lotus had won the constructors' championship they started 1 and 2. Tyrrell came second in '73 so they got 3 and 4. And so on... From then on, only the team with the reigning driver WC got 1 and 2; swapping with the previous years' champion. The swapping was abandoned in 1996. From then on the order of the previous season determined the order (except 1 and 2 for the driver WC). The only thing I don't get is how the numbers were assigned for 1993. Tyrrell 3 and 4; Benetton 5 and 6; McLaren 7 and 8. Maybe someone has a clue?

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Because Schumacher finished 3rd in the WDC.

RichardIII
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda
Germany

Post by RichardIII »

I don't think so. It's only the drivers WC that matters (-> 1). Apart from that the teams ranking counts. But Tyrrell still had 3 and 4.... Maybe Flavio B. had a few talks...?

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

I enjoy Chain Bear's content. This was very helpful for me :-)
https://youtu.be/dGVxAslpcWE

Jordan

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Thumbs up for a Chain Bear post. :)
Je ne regrette rien.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

RichardIII wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:14 am I'll have a go here:
From 1974 on, the constructors had their numbers assigned for the full season. The order was based on the constructors' championship ranking from 1973. Although in 1973 for most of the season the drivers had fix numbers already. Since the '73 drivers WC (Stewart) had retired and Lotus had won the constructors' championship they started 1 and 2. Tyrrell came second in '73 so they got 3 and 4. And so on... From then on, only the team with the reigning driver WC got 1 and 2; swapping with the previous years' champion. The swapping was abandoned in 1996. From then on the order of the previous season determined the order (except 1 and 2 for the driver WC). The only thing I don't get is how the numbers were assigned for 1993. Tyrrell 3 and 4; Benetton 5 and 6; McLaren 7 and 8. Maybe someone has a clue?
From the time I got into F1 until Tyrrell finally gave up, they were 3 and 4. Forever the only numbers that changed were on the incoming and outgoing drivers champions cars. And then, to add to the dullness of F1, they decided to go NASCAR and let drivers have their own number, even as WC. I thought the whole point to winning a championship was to be able to carry the 1. But with branding and all that wonderful crap, it's not as important anymore. ......kids today. :wink:

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Indy1977TX wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:27 pm I enjoy Chain Bear's content. This was very helpful for me :-)
https://youtu.be/dGVxAslpcWE

Jordan
Has anyone ever driven with a 38? I don't even pay attention since the personal thing started.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great topic, I learned something new : )
As for 1993, this is how the numbers were shuffled around, though it's not clear to me exactly why (e.g. McLaren didn't take Williams #5 and #6 which would have been the usual practice of old & new champion team swapping numbers; Benetton could have retained #19 and #20, etc)

Williams 1992: # 5 & #6 - Williams 1993: #0 & #2 (1992 champion Mansell not driving in F1 1993)
Brabham 1992: #7 & #8 - no Brabham team in 1993
McLaren 1992: #1 & #2 - McLaren 1993: #7 and #8 (took from Brabham)
Benetton 1992: #19 & #20 - Benetton 1993: #5 and #6 (took from Williams)
Larrousse 1992: #29 & #30 - Larrousse 1993: #19 and #20 (took from Benetton)
Sauber 1992: no entry - Sauber 1993: #29 and #30 (took from Larrousse)