1987 Lotus 98T?

Ask away...

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

1987 Lotus 98T?

Post by bossy122 »

Hello! I just acquired a Studio 27 Lotus 98T transkit in "1987 color" ( Camel livery). I intend to make the proper JPS version but I am curious if the 98 ever ran in the Camel colors. I thought maybe early '87, but my limited research says Lotus had the 99s for Brazil. My question is: did the 98 EVER have Camels? Probably just a press release or something? I find it curious that S27 would make a version that didn't exist so I am wondering when it existed?

And sometime in the last year, someone had a post having something to do with 3D printed wheels for a 98 wherein I asked about them doing the chrome wheels in 3D. I can't seem to find that in "my posts". If anyone can point me in the right direction to whomever was thinking of making those wheels, I will be quite grateful. Thank you.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: 1987 Lotus 98T?

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi Bossy!
In this video at 0:08 you can see the presentation of the Lotus Team in 1987, and it seems they already had the 99T finished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9F_M7-WR1o
I have also never seen a 98T in Camel colors.

What I could imagine is this:
With Satoru Nakajima being the first fulltime japanese F1 driver and Camel cigarettes most likely also available in Japan, they might have given a spare 98T to Camel, so they can use it for promotion in Japan. In this case a 98T might have been a familiar sight for Japanese racing fans and would explain the S27 kit.

Topic author
bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Uh oh. Looks as though this question was asked in 2020. Sadly, i didnt have an "1987 color" 98 in 2020.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I think the same as last year... a show car for some automobile fair or for promos is more than feasible. I really doubt that such a car ever turned on the engine (assuming there were one under the boot), but probably existed. And being Senna related, a good cash cow for S27, I suppose.