LIGIER GITANES Brands 1980 question, sponsors...

Ask away...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

LIGIER GITANES Brands 1980 question, sponsors...

Post by JamesB »

OK, it took me long to start figuring why tobacco sponsors were not present at some races when I started looking books at 1980. The fact that seemingly tobacco sponsor was allowed at practice of British GP, let alone the fact the GP was sponsored by M@r!b*r* (I came even to think that was the reason ) did not help!! :lol: There was no google nor wise old relative to tell me.
But one thing that really puzzles me from 41 years ago is the fact that the Ligiers had GITANES on them while Alfas and Macs had their Marlinboros replaced by code bars. That´s in 1980, Brands Hatch, Brit GP.
Not that I complain, it allows me to amke one of my favorite JS11-15 versions with full livery, but.... WHY???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Anyone here have a clue?
Thanks in advance as always! :D

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: LIGIER GITANES Brands 1980 question, sponsors...

Post by SBEST »

TV. Races were televised practice were not.

If someone could make a transkit for the Tamiya JS11 to JS11/15 I will love them forever. Pironi and the Ligier were bad asses.

martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

Judging by some photos the Ligier tobaccos remained on for the race. One theory could be that each brand had been permitted sponsorship for a limited number of events in the country for that year. I remember this was the case in the US in the late 90s/early 2000s, where for example the Penske cars would run tobaccos for the Indycar races but Ferrari were running bar codes for the US GP, with other teams (e.g. BAR) still running their tobaccos.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

I checked the TV footage, and 'YES' Ligier run Gitanes advertising during the race.
It was the same in 1981 with Ligier/Talbot running tabacco advertising, while McLaren, Alfa and Lotus used their replacement.
1982 was the first year in which Gitanes advertising was not used.

I wonder if Gitanes was available in Britain before 1982?

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

Badi
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Pierre Gasly
Brazil

Post by Badi »

I just found this....a quite long time ago....it may help to understand...

seems some Tobacco companies start to antecipate some legislation and cooperate before others. Strategy or fear....

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/1314 ... ertisment/

"In the early 1980's M@r!b*r* anticipated the bans that were to come and as part of a voluntary practice of reducing the visibility of their brand name they taught consumers to associate different logo's with their brand, particularly in those markets where governments were most vociferous in their objection to tobacco advertising"

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks mates! That might be the thing.
The "preventive" approach I mean. Also the availability might count, or having or not corp HQ in the place in question.
Yes, in 1981 it also happened, I had not realised! :D
SBEST wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:17 am
If someone could make a transkit for the Tamiya JS11 to JS11/15 I will love them forever. Pironi and the Ligier were bad asses.
Cross your fingers... 8) something might happen one day! :wink:

Hugeprong
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Hugo Pring
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Post by Hugeprong »

I was at that race and was really anticipating a fight involving the Ligiers with the Williams and Brabham but after a good start it all fizzled out. I had forgotten that they were using wheel rims that kept cracking as they were generating so much downforce over the bumps.

I have read much more recently that the Ligiers had the largest plan-forms of all F1 cars at that time and the highest venturi tunnels. This meant that the downforce they generated exceeded the strength of the aluminium chassis and it constantly broke under the strain. If only they had had carbon fibre! Eventually Ducarouge inserted a flap within the sidepods that would open when the pressure under the car grew too high and hence prevent "porpoising". This was a moveable aerodynamic device and wholly illegal. After it was spotted by a photographer, the car was never a factor again!

I am making the 1/20 Tamiya kit at the moment - what a coincidence that JamesB would write this question now!

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Wow! Nice you have those memories and keep 'em alive! :D That's a thing I'd really like to have in my brain too.
Well yes the "valve" thing was something that was always on the cards.
I ahve read different versions on it. One is in the skirts. There were movable ports clearly visible at early races n 1980. Others talked about movable vents in the sidepod profiles. (****) READ THE ASTERISK LATER!!! Nt sure what the official version was. The Ligiers were quite competitive for a good while, but they split the points between Pironi and Laffite. Not that I am pro team orders, just that Jacques had tech trouble in Zolder, then Pironi had gearbox problems that ultimately led to his DNF at Monaco when e should have won, and they also had that problem at Brands. Their slump was more in Austria, Germany (even if they won) and Holland, and very specially in Imola. Curiously they struggled in two brake circuits, Imola and Long Beach. I dont think the problems were related with being caught on the cheating (which probably happened!! :lol: )
Duca had a prestige of building really stiff and strong chassis, but yes too much downforce created age problems on cars (fuel leaks for instance), that could also be related that the JS11/15 tubs wera ctually refirbished 1979 units. Laffite used to complain he wanted a new tub. Lgier would say he had budget problems...
Anyway it was more "we usually did not know why our cars were fast" as Ducarouge himself admited. For instance, they needed a lot of GP to find that the parts fixing steering rods to uprights were not strong enough. Incredible, right?
Now with the asterisk (***)!!
THat's Daly's Zandvoort flight. Not sure you, but I always saw there sliding vents taht could maybe be activated under braking, acceleration or something... though the TYrrells were not that competitive to raise suspects..

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Mark Hughes Grand Prix 1980 points out what you gentlemen have stated. It explained to me how the performance of the Ligier would drop over the course of the year,