LIGIER GITANES Brands 1980 question, sponsors...

Ask away...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: LIGIER GITANES Brands 1980 question, sponsors...

Post by JamesB »

Here Piola claims to be the one who found out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8zVD34wK-Q
But the point is that it still was being used by second to last race. So in theory there was no slump due to them being caught. Probably it was more the thing (that, knowing Ligier, was not too sophisticated) working better at some circuits. There was a pic of it at some late season GPI issues but honestly I always thought it did not make the things any clearer...

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Honestly, I would prefer a picture from the actual car. Or drawings from Ligier construction. Come to think of it. Where did all the design drawings for Ligier go?

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Maybe that's why the car was BAD at some circuits... to add turbulence to the floor's air flow seems one of the many "guessing ideas" of that time. Ligier was proud to have different sidepods tailored for each circuit, but we now know that with the resources of that time was very difficult to get it right everytime.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yes, that´s the thing, Marcos!
Steve, yes that´s curious:even if Piola boasts of spotting it, and witnessing it with his camera, to this day I have not seen a single pic that proves the fact. I believe it 50/50 at the best. After all, next season, Ducarouge was proud of not cheating when the hydro suspensions appeared. OK, by then they were already a "big constructor".
Curiously the device described on the drawing is really really very similar to what we see on the flying Daly pic... On the other hand Piola worked for GPI. Why did not GPI take a position about the thing? they mentioned "the trick that never was" and referred to the fact as a much commented thing, but never treated the fact deeply. OK, GPI was a french magazine in fact. Yes in AUTOCAR 1980 review by Peter Windsor they mention it but theres no proof either.

PS: I stand corrected. When finally GPI took a position on the matter, it was clearly "pro Ligier" and apparently against Piola's opinion.
BTW the main problem of the Ligiers was that they were strongly overweight. Apparently some 25 30 Kg more than Williamses or Brabhams...
I took interesting pics of this story, will post tomorrow. Supper time in Spain now! :D

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

JamesB wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:58 am OK, it took me long to start figuring why tobacco sponsors were not present at some races when I started looking books at 1980. The fact that seemingly tobacco sponsor was allowed at practice of British GP, let alone the fact the GP was sponsored by M@r!b*r* (I came even to think that was the reason ) did not help!! :lol: There was no google nor wise old relative to tell me.
But one thing that really puzzles me from 41 years ago is the fact that the Ligiers had GITANES on them while Alfas and Macs had their Marlinboros replaced by code bars. That´s in 1980, Brands Hatch, Brit GP.
Not that I complain, it allows me to amke one of my favorite JS11-15 versions with full livery, but.... WHY???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Anyone here have a clue?
Thanks in advance as always! :D
Hi James,

that's what I've found on Ligier team Fb group :identified as GB '80

bye
Attachments
GB 80.jpg

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

viewtopic.php?p=151189#p151189

A few of you might remember Jean Paul’s build.

Paul Erlendson.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

gilles.r wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 am Hi James,

that's what I've found on Ligier team Fb group :identified as GB '80

bye
Yes, mon ami, thanks! :D That was already out of question: pictures at the GPI "bible", or on great Flocon's book already stated there was Gitanes at GB, NO Gitanes at Germany. The poignant question now was "why" :wink:
thanks anyway :D

js1115
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Didier Pironi
France

Post by js1115 »

No « gitanes » in Germany ?
I found an answer in Autohebdo n°228: german law !

Regards,
JP
Jean-Paul

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thx!

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

JamesB wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 am Yes, mon ami, thanks! :D That was already out of question: pictures at the GPI "bible", or on great Flocon's book already stated there was Gitanes at GB, NO Gitanes at Germany. The poignant question now was "why" :wink:
thanks anyway :D
Hi James ...
More ?

bye
Gilles
Attachments
brands hatch.jpg
brands hatch 2.jpg
brands hatch 3.jpg