Ask away...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Silent auction suggestions

Post by stubeck »

I'm a mod but not an admin (Eric does all the hard work here), and don't particularly like the idea of listing items without a price at all. A way around it would be to list the minimum price you want and then say "or best offer". Give it a week or so to get offers in (which can be above or below what you listed) and then sell to who you want. This ensures everyone knows what you consider fair, but still had an option to buy it. You should list the prices (but don't need to say who bought them) after the sale.

I know that people can get particular here about restrictions on shipping or whatnot, so I feel this is the best option for everyone. Its still going to cause some drama, but its better than an ebay style "start at $1" plan.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

In agreement with Stubeck comments.

Topic author
PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

stubeck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am I'm a mod but not an admin (Eric does all the hard work here), and don't particularly like the idea of listing items without a price at all. A way around it would be to list the minimum price you want and then say "or best offer". Give it a week or so to get offers in (which can be above or below what you listed) and then sell to who you want. This ensures everyone knows what you consider fair, but still had an option to buy it. You should list the prices (but don't need to say who bought them) after the sale.

I know that people can get particular here about restrictions on shipping or whatnot, so I feel this is the best option for everyone. Its still going to cause some drama, but its better than an ebay style "start at $1" plan.
So as a moderator, you wouldn't mind a trial balloon as long as there was a basic price? Something like "accepting offers starting at $20. Best offer will be accepted on friday June 1st". Also reveal the final best offer? Perhaps I can get my act together enough to do this soon. I am thinking of limiting it to a run of 7 to 10 days. Perhaps if it takes off, we would get a silent auction section. I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers. I've been on the board for way to long to do anything to jeopardize my good standing.

Just had a thought about releasing the prices. Something occurred to me that may not be so good. If I get multiple offers of the same price, they I have to choose. Releasing the price could start a fracas about "why didn't you choose me?" I'll have to think about this some more or see if anyone has ideas.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I have two suggestions. No price discussion or offers in the thread. And please supply a real email. The emailservice on this site is not the best in the world.
So just post your items with any kind of price...like 10.000,- and best offer gets it. Simple and within the rules.

And people promise to not post a million posts like. I've send a PM or I want this or that. Just through your real email to keep thinks clean and the work on your site...sound fair !?

Please post your items...I'm curious what you've got ;)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

PeteJ wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 pm
stubeck wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am I'm a mod but not an admin (Eric does all the hard work here), and don't particularly like the idea of listing items without a price at all. A way around it would be to list the minimum price you want and then say "or best offer". Give it a week or so to get offers in (which can be above or below what you listed) and then sell to who you want. This ensures everyone knows what you consider fair, but still had an option to buy it. You should list the prices (but don't need to say who bought them) after the sale.

So as a moderator, you wouldn't mind a trial balloon as long as there was a basic price? Something like "accepting offers starting at $20. Best offer will be accepted on friday June 1st". Also reveal the final best offer? Perhaps I can get my act together enough to do this soon. I am thinking of limiting it to a run of 7 to 10 days. Perhaps if it takes off, we would get a silent auction section. I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers. I've been on the board for way to long to do anything to jeopardize my good standing.

Just had a thought about releasing the prices. Something occurred to me that may not be so good. If I get multiple offers of the same price, they I have to choose. Releasing the price could start a fracas about "why didn't you choose me?" I'll have to think about this some more or see if anyone has ideas.
I haven't talked about it with the other mods so may be overruled, but for me that isn't a big issue. We need some sort of price initially. We have plenty of sales now where people get discounts because of previous relationships. If you want $20 and someone offers $15 and someone else offers $25, its not that much of a change here as best offer can be either higher or lower. Others just haven't made it clear when they do this, as we don't manage these purchases.

I'm sure that this process is going to piss off someone either way, so understand that before you begin. The way to avoid that is using an auction site or just post what you have with what you consider high prices and lower prices over time/accept offers. Previous prices can be found here or on ebay relatively quickly. We've had big fights here about where people will ship or not, and also people not reading PMs in the right order so having issues where someone who messaged a day earlier not getting a deal they thought they should. The mods won't get involved with this as its between the seller and any potential buyers.

willster127
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Lee
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mclaren
United States of America

Post by willster127 »

I quite like the idea Pete, as for the multiple offers at the same price, just go by timestamp on an e-mail, whoever made that offer first wins. But yes, as said above, start with a "minimum" price to satisfy f1m, give an e-mail address and only accept offers through that e-mail to keep it clean. Any disputes after with postage etc.. just go to the next bidder.

I think it might just work!

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

PeteJ wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 pm No announcement of the final say price.
Disagree. If final price and winner are not communicated, the seller can cancel the sale if the highest bid is not enough for him, only saying to any question that there were another bid higher. No way to control. This system must be transparent and with a minimum price so there is a compromise between seller and possible bidders from the beginning

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Or just... follow the (straightforward) rules and accept the fact that you may not wring every last penny out of the sale price?

Set a price you deem acceptable. If it sells, great; if not, lower your price and try again. I see zero benefit to the membership at large to anyone turning the site into an auction house.
Je ne regrette rien.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

My two cents-this is a builders site. Sometimes we sell between each other. Beyond that, it becomes commerce. That will lead to hurt feelings, online bitching and then the beauty of this site will be gone. Brother, take your kits to eBay of you want a lot of eyes on your stash. Post a link so we can all see, or just ask your price and maybe a member will buy it.

Like I said, my two cents.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Ok. I am with SeanMain. I have sold here for years. I prefer to sell here. It works out about the same most of the time. You don't pay the onerous Ebay fees. So, no auction here is my final vote.