Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna
Singapore

MP4/2C Portugal '86

Post by Chumley »

Hi

I have just got the Nunu/Beemax (whatever you want to call it) 1/20 Portuguese GP version of the MP4/2C - yes, the yellow one Rosberg raced.

I wanted to wait until the kit arrived before I asked here, but it has actually not helped!

So.....

Does anyone know what 'yellow' was on the actual car? The decals that come with the kit have both colour schemes - The traditional 'fluoro' red for Prost and the 'yellow' for Rosberg, however the yellow just looks.. well, yellow.

I know the Maccas were painted fluoro so that the colours looked red on TV - but the yellow I am not sure of. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
"Flying is easy. You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Douglas Adams

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: MP4/2C Portugal '86

Post by AJP01 »

This is the subject of considerable debate because, just like the red, the car was painted a certain shade of yellow in person but it photographed differently. I believe they used a shade of flou yellow paint that ended up being the correct "saffron" color that MBoro wanted on TV and print photos of the time. But I'm sure there are people here that know more than I do on this subject.

Team?

AJ

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

Yeap that is pretty much as I thought. Any insights would be great
Douglas Adams

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

The only article I can find that vaguely helps was something written by an Italian journalist - Google translate gives me this:

Keke Rosberg’s car number 2 eliminated the red and dyed a faded yellow only during the Iberian round (and not all weekend) in order to advertise the "light" product of the main sponsor. The aesthetic result, however, was a real fiasco, since the chosen shade was not at all close to the gold color imagined for the initiative, but rather to a very little TV and photogenic yellow. Also unlucky race for the Finn, who started seventh and retired on lap 31 due to electrical problems.
Douglas Adams

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

One day we gotta do the "all time color debates ranking"... :lol: With no specifical order, Marlin red, Ligier blue, 70s (and 80s, 90s, 000s, etc) Ferrari red or reds, Williams green, Renault and ATS yellow.... and surely the C's saffron color object of this debate.
Yes the italian article looks spot on. There are similar reports on spanish mahazines. Unfortunately many of the supposed "special reporters" were not even there, and the accuracy of comments was not always the rule. Fortunately, some really were. And some of them are sometimes accessible, I´ll try. Logic and contemporaneous reports suggest FLUO. There's no way McLaren and Marlin would put fluo on one car, not fluo on the other. Pics and broadcast also support this theory. If it's a crude yellow a la Valentino Rossi, or more greenish or a bit more sunflower is beyond knowledge.
I think I'd just use something between 1st and 3rd option, assuming I find a proper paint.

Topic author
Chumley
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Singapore

Post by Chumley »

I would have thought the fluoro angle made sense. But the ‘VR46’? Doubtful? It may well be fluoro with a touch of Chrome Yellow.

I’m in no rush so i’ll see what everyone thinks
Douglas Adams

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

A very old Studio 27 kit had fluo yellow/green decals. Something like the same colour used on the Brawn decades later.
I will paint mine fluo yellow when I get around to making that kit in the stash - around 2032... :-)

Flemming

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Flemming's right of course; I actually have that kit and indeed the decals are shocking yellow flou. It's also a metal kit, interestingly...

AJ

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

Hi,

I have take the colour RAL 1026

Mike

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Chumley wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:21 am I would have thought the fluoro angle made sense. But the ‘VR46’? Doubtful? It may well be fluoro with a touch of Chrome Yellow.

I’m in no rush so i’ll see what everyone thinks
That´s what I meant: VR's one is quite yellow, not greenish. So I'd say betwen VR (lets consider it neutral) and chrome/sunflower...
BTW there used to be a "glow in the dark" clear applied to certain spooky model kits. Does anyone know of a current product like that? it might work combined with yellow? though fluo and "glow in the dark" is not the same, I know...