Hello Germans, how do you watch F1 now ?

Ask away...

Topic author
daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Hello Germans, how do you watch F1 now ?

Post by daniel »

Since RTL lost it's F1 license I was wondering how you watch F1 from now on ? One option would be SKY at around 18€ I think. But with Prime and Netflix TV is getting a little expensive now ;)

...any other ideas, streaming would be ok also

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Hello Germans, how do you watch F1 now ?

Post by jaykay »

Like last year....mostly not :-)

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

I'd like to continue watching, but the the "experience", as everything is called nowadays, is in my eyes currently not worth paying for.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

jaykay wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:39 am Like last year....mostly not :-)
Same to me, fully out on watching F1 and happy about it 8)
Take a stand!

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

F1TV Pro is not that expensive in my eyes and you can watch a lot of the old races from the really old days with Hunt and Walker as commentators. After a shaky start with bad or choppy service it really has taken off. And you can watch the supporting races as as well as watching the entire race in your favorite car and driver combination. No ads!!!!! But still needs an app for Apple TV - it was promised in 2020, but didn't materialise. Recommended.

Flemming

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

As far as I know it is not possible to get an F1 TV Pro account in Germany now.
Only those in Germany who signed up for F1 TV Pro before Sky signed their contract are allowed to keep it. Once you are out you cannot get back.

Sky announced they are going to show 4 races on Free TV. I might watch these, but apart from that I am out.

I wonder in which direction this is going to go. As far as I can see, most of the old enthusiasts don't care about a Sky abo, as many have lost their interest in current F1. Those who are still interested might already have F1 TV Pro.
And attracting new fans?
"Fridays for future" and all the related stuff is a big thing here in Germany. I don't think it is a good time to get new people interested in F1 here. Especially not if you have to pay for it.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Didn't watch a complete race since Vettel leave RedBull.
Still got my Sky Account, but not for F1. Only for Bundesliga,movies and stuff.

But I also got DAZN for American football.
Netflix, Disney and Amazon Prime Video for movies and episodes.

No time to watch boring cars with boring sound on boring tracks with faceless drivers.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Wait a couple of hours then torrent it?
Je ne regrette rien.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well, I have to be honest, I haven't watched F1 in a long time, at least not in any kind of regular fashion. At times I would watch it for a few minutes with my dad when I was at my parents. But then again, I refuse to pay for any kind of subscription service, although netflix came close to becoming a reality for me. I just know that I would watch, eventually forget and keep paying for a service I no longer use. That aside, what I saw and heard of the last races didn't impress me. For the most part I lost interest in F1 when Schuey joined "my" (then) team red. Since then I only watched occasionally, see above.
As a further aside, the numbers of time I watch actual TV / year can be counted on the fingers of one hand. I bought a new big TV in 04'19 but have maybe used it less than 3 full days (~72h) TOTAL since - mostly gaming or movies...

But back to F1. What to me would make a big difference is the commentary. If it is the same old annoying commentary we had @ RTL since forever, I would pass as well. Much in the same way I cannot stand to watch the dubbed Top Gear or Grand Tour. And as for Sky - I thought that their position is, let's say, financially questionable. Might have improved somewhat due to Covid, so ...
Cheers,
Roman

MarcoSaupe
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: HHF
Germany

Post by MarcoSaupe »

I watched all F1 races, I also watch many other races (MotoGP, Indycar, IMSA...) but as I said, to me it's simply not worth paying 18€/month for. I mean, now that the last team that had F1 as it's main business has been sold (Williams), all the involved companies do it as investment or to advertise their brand, and why should I pay to watch advertising? But then again, I also can't understand buying a shirt with nothing but a big logo of the clothing brand on it; if they want me to be a walking billboard, they should pay me to wear it, right? ;)
I also have no interest in soccer or anything else on Sky. A dedicated motorsport channel, that has F1 and 2-3 of the other mentioned series in HD for max 10€/month, that would be something to think about, but otherwise I will practise the almost forgotten art of doing without something.