"Peeling decals"

Ask away...

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: "Peeling decals"

Post by AJP01 »

The advantage is as some here have mentioned; you apply the decal as per normal, you wait for everything to dry and set, then after a while (would guess 24 hours is safe) you can lift the clear carrier film off the top of the printed logo. If you lift that film off carefully (using a small piece of the corner to lift first using some tape or an exacto knife to lift the edge) you are left with only the printed ink and no carrier at all. I have clear-coated over these successfully without issue (using the same clear coat precautions as for normal decals, light coats, etc...) so that they are protected against future damage to the inks from handling. Or, some people just leave the decal uncovered with no clear. Your preference.

But it's cool not to have to worry about silvering, yellowing of the carrier film over time, or other issues. Downside is, they are easier to screw up if you're not really careful trying to lift off the carrier film. Have extras on hand just in case. I advise you pull back the clear carrier film low to the surface - like you do when pulling off masking tape - to avoid pulling the ink up off the painted surface.

Best,
AJ

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

AJP01 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:18 pm The advantage is as some here have mentioned; you apply the decal as per normal, you wait for everything to dry and set, then after a while (would guess 24 hours is safe) you can lift the clear carrier film off the top of the printed logo. If you lift that film off carefully (using a small piece of the corner to lift first using some tape or an exacto knife to lift the edge) you are left with only the printed ink and no carrier at all. I have clear-coated over these successfully without issue (using the same clear coat precautions as for normal decals, light coats, etc...) so that they are protected against future damage to the inks from handling. Or, some people just leave the decal uncovered with no clear. Your preference.

But it's cool not to have to worry about silvering, yellowing of the carrier film over time, or other issues. Downside is, they are easier to screw up if you're not really careful trying to lift off the carrier film. Have extras on hand just in case. I advise you pull back the clear carrier film low to the surface - like you do when pulling off masking tape - to avoid pulling the ink up off the painted surface.

Best,
AJ
Are you sure about the carrier film? Mine had a carrier film like other decals have, but i had no problems with silvering. To prefend silvering you can use the steamed cotton swab method, works also great for none flat surfaces instead of softener.
Silvering is a problem on tyres with their rough surface, therefore i use Tameo or Tron extra strong softener which melts the decals and lay them down smooth without silvering. Only point is you have to be carefull once the softener is applied, don`t touch it till it has dried up!
Take a stand!

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

[/quote]
therefore i use Tameo or Tron extra strong softener which melts the decals and lay them down smooth without silvering. Only point is you have to be carefull once the softener is applied, don`t touch it till it has dried up!
[/quote]

As far as I know, Tameo decal liquids are out of production. Which of the available ones are the equivalent?

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

AJP01 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:18 pm i use Tameo or Tron extra strong softener which melts the decals and lay them down smooth without silvering. Only point is you have to be carefull once the softener is applied, don`t touch it till it has dried up!
As far as I know, Tameo decal liquids are out of production. Which of the available ones are the equivalent?

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Still don`t know if it is out of production actually, bought mine 2 years ago from Arjan (de Roos Autominiaturen) But there are other sources as well like the Tron softener i mentioned.
Here are some links where to buy it:

https://deroosautominiaturen.com/tools.htm (just shoot him a mail on how it`s available or not)

Next is Tron, equal in quality
http://www.tronmodels.com/detail.asp?id=810&idgrp=11

This is also Tron, the old bottle with yellow badge, but a bit expensive
http://www.berlinetta-modelcars.be/nl/p ... -for-tyres

Remember models is also equal
https://www.geminimodelcars.com/listing ... models-the
Take a stand!