CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Paint cracking

Post by CK »

It looks like cracking is not only with TS36 paint. I have a NASCAR having fluorescent red on both ends. I used Model Master enamel fluorescent red for it. It needs a lot of layers for proper coverage even on white. The whole car is coated with an acrylic clear about one week after the color coats. I think I use Tamiya X-22 acrylic clear. After about a year, cracks start to show on the fluorescent red parts. However, there is no cracks on the decal covered fluorescent red area.

I just wonder if it is a property related to fluorescent color. I have Humbrol and Model Master acrylic for the same color. I will try an experiment with all these paints to see what will happen.
C K
Canada

Andrey
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Andrey »

After reading your posts about the TS36, I decided to check my models and unfortunately found the same paint cracking.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

So a good alternative to TS36 I found is House of Kolor Dayglo Red. I sprayed it on my Niki Lauda helmet and it went on nice. I used a House of Kolor orange as a base coat because even though the clear I'm using has a UV protective additive in it the Dayglo will still fade according to the guys I bought it from so with the orange base coat even if the Dayglo fades it least it won't show through as white. I sprayed the House of Kolor directly over TS26 pure white with no effects. the House of kolor dries flat just like Zero Paints and then I used a 2K clear out of a spray can. Yes, 2K clear from a spray can over the House of Kolor paint. Next I will apply the decals and then more clear coat from a spray can :D :D BTW the House of Kolor was out of a spray can as well. I bought it from a place called Coast Airbrush. They have a website. I'm sure if anyone is interested they could buy the paint from them in a spray can from their webstore and have it shipped. Local of course, not talking about over seas. A large 6.7 oz spray can of the Dayglo cost about $32. With Tamiya TS36 pushing $8-$9 bucks a can it not a bad option.
144482974_10223432217930422_21814182164695455_o.jpg
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports