Ask away...

Topic author
Scale_Engineering
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 2020 Re-Release fill in Decals

Post by Scale_Engineering »

Hi all

A few of us have noticed the new re-release of the 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 has some decals omitted compared to previous verisons.
I have not been able to comprehensively check, but from a quick first glance the black Dunlop logos on the rear side panels behind the tire arch are absent as well as on the front wheel arches. Likewise on the front wheel arches the Shell logos are missing.

Further, the tires have the raised areas removed for the painting of the Dunlop tire logos.

Will anybody be releasing a small sheet just to fill in those missing decals?

As a side note, I notice the decal sheets martini strips are not that fluorescent color.

Such an awesome kit and cool to have.

Thank you kindly,

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Porsche 935 2020 Re-Release fill in Decals

Post by indycals »

I added a '1/12 scale missing markings' option to my product page that has the missing Shell and dunlop logos.
https://www.indycals.net/decals/lemans/ ... ni935.html

I also have tire decals fitted to the new tires with options for yellow or white tire lettering. https://www.indycals.net/decals/tires/s ... es70s.html

I have not seen any conclusive evidence the Martini stripes were dayglo on the 1976 935s.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

indycals wrote:I have not seen any conclusive evidence the Martini stripes were dayglo on the 1976 935s.
awww, hurts ;-)

rk images to open in new tab shows them full size which might be important to get a good look...
Check the color of the stripes - evenin in shady conditions - and compare to the red of the martini logo itself.

More over, i got confirmation of eye witness of the race, from the guy who later went to paint schumachers helmets. He always had a good eye for colours...

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
Scale_Engineering
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Thanks to both of you for your response, much appreciated. Gives me and many others good options once which route is decided.

I certainly sense there maybe an increase in request for aftermarket items for this kit with the re-release. Shame there isn't a few more scale motorsports kits around. I can understand they are a sort after expensive item now on top of being expensive when they came out.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

there is a company called scale_lab 24 that has a 935 super detail set that might be as good as the scale motorsport set. It is available through spot model. They also do a set for the 934. In any event a lot less and will be easier to get than the scale motorsport set. My memory is scale motorsport had a lot of turned metal parts but this company stuff looks nice in its own way.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Are you referring to this kit? Seems it is done by a German company (sidepod.de). I saw it a while ago on Ebay when I was looking for the 935 kit. Then I saw they also did this for the 934. I think what used to be turned in the SMS kit is now a resin copy. By which I do not want to imply that this kit is a copy of the SMS kit - absolutely not, since I don't know much about either kit nor have I had one of each yet.

I'm not 100% sold on the PE radiator meshes due to the small size of the photos - maybe by layering these, the effect will be convincing. It seems that the PE is on sticky sheet since there are no visible sprues where the parts are attached to..
Last edited by sky1911 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Roman

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Any idea of Scale Motorsports is going to re-issue it's upgrade set for this car?

Topic author
Scale_Engineering
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hopes would be slim on that I would say :(

I would be happy to grab parts from even partially complete sets to hopefully pool a decent amount of little bits together.

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

sky1911 wrote:Are you referring to this kit? Seems it is done by a German company (sidepod.de). I saw it a while ago on Ebay when I was looking for the 935 kit. Then I saw they also did this for the 934. I think what used to be turned in the SMS kit is now a resin copy. By which I do not want to imply that this kit is a copy of the SMS kit - absolutely not, since I don't know much about either kit nor have I had one of each yet.

I'm not 100% sold on the PE radiator meshes due to the small size of the photos - maybe by layering these, the effect will be convincing. It seems that the PE is on sticky sheet since there are no visible sprues where the parts are attached to..
Yes that is the kit, I am referring to. It looks like a better option than hoping to find a scale motorsports kit. It may not be a perfect answer but it looks like a good answer. Also I think the PE does have attachment points. I looked at photos that look like in negative but them some actual shots of the pe make me think you have to cut off each piece as usual. Knowing that the scale motorsport set is exceedingly rare it is worth considering. I don't think it is a copy to my eye, but not an expert. I suspect there is a lot of overlap as anyone looking at the real car vs the model is probably going to look for ways to fix certain issues and scale motor sport was probably thinking along common lines.