smbrm1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: BRM, Lotus, Ferrari
Canada

Japan Hobby Shows

Post by smbrm1 »

Hi all.
I believe there are two big hobby shows in Japan, one in the spring and one in the fall. I Was wondering what they are called, where they are, websites, and what their focus is. I think one primarily has a b2b focus and the other b2c. Which one is better for seeing both manufacturer and club stuff. Also looking for info about where to stay etc. I know that there have been reports on individual events, but I don’t recall a comparison. Looking for tips and other things to see.

The bucket list is calling!

Cheers

Stephen

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Re: Japan Hobby Shows

Post by cbk57 »

I think the spring show is Shizuoka, it is not until May though so way to early to get excited. The fall one is the All japan hobby model show or something along those lines. For me Shizuoka is the more exciting as Tamiya normally do their big releases there. However in 2019 they did not, they did some major releases earlier at Nuremberg toy fair then released the P-38 for NATS in the U.S. and did some stuff for the fall show.

klinad
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH
China

Post by klinad »

One is in May, it's Shizuoka Hobby Show, many manufactories will bring their new products to the show, also the club build show is held simultaneously, where you can see thansouds of builds. But tamiya recently release some new products on the All Japan Hobby Show, in Tokyo, and also the Tamiya fair in Dec, Shizuoka. Also to mention is that the Hobby Forum in Yokohama, evey Nov, it's more favourable for multimedia kit builder since for big brands only Aoshima will attend, but small manufactories like S27 and MFH will always be there and bring some "Hobby Forum only" products, together with some half priced models. There's also a club build show in the Hobby Forum but the scale is small compare to Shizuoka. Since anyway, the Shizuoka Hobby Show is about all kinds of models but Hobby Forum is all about the models with wheels on it only.

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Its going to be really interesting what they turn up with.
Some interviews with Mr T floating around talking about slowing sales.
They used to do a new 1/32 aircraft every two years. That pattern is broken. Clearly automotive has got very hard with licensing. The recent Ferrari was barely 12mths in the catalogue.

It seems the cost of tooling molds has dropped to the point where enthusiasts can develop great models. JoyYard Missouri a good example.

China volume seems to be making it hard for the big T.

Fingers crossed for news, but expecting modest pickings

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

43rdMichael wrote:Its going to be really interesting what they turn up with.
Some interviews with Mr T floating around talking about slowing sales.
They used to do a new 1/32 aircraft every two years. That pattern is broken. Clearly automotive has got very hard with licensing. The recent Ferrari was barely 12mths in the catalogue.

It seems the cost of tooling molds has dropped to the point where enthusiasts can develop great models. JoyYard Missouri a good example.

China volume seems to be making it hard for the big T.

Fingers crossed for news, but expecting modest pickings
Your insight is appreciated I am a big Tamiya enthusiast and what you see makes sense based upon my outside looking observations. I cross model Auto, Armor, Aircraft and there has been a definite pull back by Tamiya in Aircraft. They seem most consistent about releasing new armor kits right now although they have been strong in 1/48 aircraft the last three years with the BF-109G, the Spitfire MkI and the P-38. But then again they did drop the new TS050 along with a couple other nice new car kits.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

smbrm1 wrote:Hi all.
I believe there are two big hobby shows in Japan, one in the spring and one in the fall. I Was wondering what they are called, where they are, websites, and what their focus is. I think one primarily has a b2b focus and the other b2c. Which one is better for seeing both manufacturer and club stuff. Also looking for info about where to stay etc. I know that there have been reports on individual events, but I don’t recall a comparison. Looking for tips and other things to see.

The bucket list is calling!

Cheers

Stephen
I can speak to the Shizuoka show as I have a guest of Tamiya USA at the show twice. It has been a while, but I have to believe that as a spectacle for modeler it has to have persevered. First of all, let me say it is overwhelming. Until you go, you can not come to grips with the size and scope of the show. There are few events in the world that complete for modelers. Although Tamiya's name is closely associated with the show, every manufacture in Asia participates. I guarantee that you would not be familiar with a large number of the names and the product they bring will amaze you. There will be wonders that you have never imagined.

The event is held at the Twin Messe Shizuoka which is two huge halls. One side is devoted to the manufactures and the other is for the model clubs of Japan. The model clubs(literally hundreds of them) have displays of their models. I was amazed by the diversity, but all so sometimes by the narrow focus of the club. I saw one club that built only Mustangs(cars and aircraft) another built Mazda Miatas only, but there are plenty of others to see.

During the show, Tamiya also holds open house. They open their museum and gives tours of the facilities. The HQ store is also open with plenty to spend your money on.

Getting to and around Shizuoka is not difficult. The Bullet train has two stops and there are hotels near the station. We stayed in one and it was very convenient. The taxi drivers may not speak English well, but enough to get you anywhere you would be interested in going.

If you go to the show as a bucket list item, then bring a pocket full of money and a big bucket. You will need it! :lol: