Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Rollover bar Copersucar FD04

Post by JM »

I'm stuck with my Copersucar/Fittipaldi project because I somehow can't scratchbuild the rollover bar for the Monaco version:
rollhoop.jpg
I've tried brass, copper and aluminium wire but to no avail.
Does anyone know if there is such a rollover bar available, maybe 3D printed or as resine aftermarket part?
I would need 2 pieces of it. Scale is 1/20.
Thanks for looking.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Rollover bar Copersucar FD04

Post by gp-models »

Why does brass not work? It`s a common shape, nothing special about it, only some brass plate that needs to be soldered to it.
Take a stand!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi JM,

From the look of the photo, the rollover bar does not seems to complicated. May be we are missing something. It would help if you can elaborate about issues that you encounter. Someone here may have a solution.
C K
Canada

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi JM,

Whilst the basic shape of the rool hoop doesn't appear to be overly complicated, the plate which drapes over the top of the hoop could present issues.

I would be inclined to form the structure in two parts: one being the tubular structure from either heated styrene tube or possibly aluminium or brass tube ( bent around a pre-fabricated bending jig ) and the "cap" being formed from either epoxy putty, styrene sheet or a possible combination of both.

You've made a few attempts so far which haven't worked out. However, don't let your progress to date defeat you. Keep trying alternate approaches as this is the essence of scratch building.

Another idea could be to modify an existing roll hoop from your parts box. From memory the roll hoop from an FW07 could be an ideal candidate for modification, as it has a similar shape.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

It should look like this I think.
But it sure isn't the right size and exact shape as I'm clearly missing the right dimensions! :lol:

http://steinietrabi-skoda-fabia.de/Modellbau/Diverse/Rollover%20bar%20Copersucar%20FD04_1.jpeg http://steinietrabi-skoda-fabia.de/Modellbau/Diverse/Rollover%20bar%20Copersucar%20FD04_2.jpeg
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Jens you’re a gifted man, I bet you can do it with aluminum thick wire, then a plate and or some putty :D
I’ve seen you make more difficult things :wink:

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

This is an interesting challenge so here is how I approached the problem.
But first, I am defiantly “old school”, cutting and gluing polystyrene is my style, I don’t have the knowledge to design and print my own resin parts and I usually work in 1/12 scale so 1/20 was decidedly fiddly for me, but here goes.
1/. I immediately gave up any ideas I may have had about making the main roll over bar in one piece, the shape is too complicated form over a candle in a single piece and controlling the heat from the flame in one small area would be problematic,
2/. I raided the bits box to see what I had that I could use and found some old 1.5m Ø Plastruct rod which was the ideal diameter but this material is a bit soft which makes heating and forming it tricky – if you have not done this before some practice will be needed. A sprue from an unbuilt 1/20 scale Ferrari 312T3 (I think) allowed me to estimate that the roll over bar needed to be 20mm wide and 16mm high,
3/. You will need to organize your work area before starting to form the plastic rod over a flame, you need a candle, I use those short ones with their own metal holder which I place in an old saucer, you will also need a shallow container with a little water in it and a soaked paper towel you will need this to cool down hot fingers. Don’t go using this technique on a work bench where you have all sorts of inflammable materials – glue, paint, thinners and the like and if you have long hair or loose clothing get them under control.
4/. I formed the central hoop over a candle flame as a single piece, and the two lower and wider side pieces were made separately in a similar fashion. The technique is to hold the work piece well above and to the side of the point of the flame, move the work piece slightly closer to the flame if it plastic starts to sag then you have applied too much heat, similarly if the plastic work piece starts to bubble or catch fire,
5/. With the three components for the roll over bar formed it was just a matter of cutting them to size and gluing them together, as an aid to this process I used some graph paper to hopefully help in aligning everything. The basic roll over bar was allowed to dry and then the two bracing struts were added.
The following pictures will I hope illustrate the process.
Hacksaw
Attachments
FD04 Roll Over Bar Parts Resized.jpg
FD04 Roll Over Bar After Bending Parts Resized.jpg
FD04 Roll Over Bar Trimming & Gluing Resized.jpg
FD04 Roll Over Bar Basic Shape Resized.jpg
FD04 Roll Over Bar Basic Shape With Bracing Bars 1 Resized.jpg
FD04 Roll Over Bar Basic Shape With Bracing Bars 2 Resized Twice.jpg

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

modeling , I love it ,fine piece of work Sir:

Topic author
JM
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Germany

Post by JM »

Thank you all for your interesting suggestions. I might try to make it from plastic material using the description by Hacksaw.
But it will probably take a while before I start it. My unsuccessful attempts somehow put me off so I might take a break from modeling during the summer.
Maybe it's the age but I more and more stop modeling when I'm not succesful, being easily fed up not getting results. :evil: