Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Great Britain

1/12 Lotus 72E decals 1974 season

Post by ClassicF1 »

I'm in the middle of a home brew conversion of the Tamiya 72D to Petersons 74 Italian GP car. So far the changes have been working but not having thought things through at the planning stage, I now realise that decals are going to be a problem. Lotus changed the colour of the JPS logos in '74 from the gold to a bright yellow.
Now Indycals do a perfect set but only in 1/20 scale for the Ebbro kit, I've asked them if it is possible to get this scaled up but with no reply, presumably the run costs would be high for little in the way of sales anyway.
So my question is, has anyone experience of getting spares etc from MFH? I'm happy to pay to get the decal set from their conversation kit but as it seems long out of production that may also be a dead end.
Any other suggestions are appreciated but please don't say print my own, my art skills one a computer are poor and experience shows me that any print I try ends in failure!

Dave

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Lotus 72E decals 1974 season

Post by Icon_Modeler »

First you should understand that Indycals are print to order. Michael does not stock many decals and prefers to print them as ordered. This also ensures freshness of the sheet. I would try sending another email. Michael just moved homes and could very likely be playing catch up. I don't think your concerns are what is keeping a 1/12th sheet from being offered. It could be simply that no one has asked for that sheet in 1/12th scale yet. Michael generally offers all his decals in many scale options.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Craggyisland
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Wales

Post by Craggyisland »

If Michael's reading this, a set of 1974 Lotus decals in 1/12 would be of interest to me too.

morewa
Formula e
Formula e

Post by morewa »

I'm not so sure. I wrote to Michael several times and wanted to order some decals in other scales. I never got a response to my emails. If you order the decals that are in stock from Michael on his website, everything is perfect

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Just curious. How are you guys handling the change to the bodywork for the 72E?

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

Ignoring it!

Not quite, I've smoothed the radiator pods into the main body, sanded off all the panel lines and rivet detail, scribed a panel line in the centre in front of the cockpit and made a "ledge" at the front of the tub with a small lip to replicate the visible inner tub under the outer "skins".
Seeing the outer skins off the real car they are not very thick so the extra thickness that the real car had is so small in 1/12 it's not worth worrying about - in my opinion.
As I said earlier it's a home brew conversion for my pleasure only, I'll try to make it as accurate as my meagre scratch building skills will allow but it's not going to be MFH standard!
I'm beginning to think that I may have to compromise on the decals and lash something up using the older scheme. Or maybe adapt some of the later 78 decals for lettering and pin striping.....

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

ClassicF1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm Ignoring it!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ClassicF1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm Not quite, I've smoothed the radiator pods into the main body, sanded off all the panel lines and rivet detail, scribed a panel line in the centre in front of the cockpit and made a "ledge" at the front of the tub with a small lip to replicate the visible inner tub under the outer "skins".
Seeing the outer skins off the real car they are not very thick so the extra thickness that the real car had is so small in 1/12 it's not worth worrying about - in my opinion.
I would agree. The only way you would be able to represent this "In Scale" would be to vacform the sidepods and I don't think it would add anything in the end other than a lot of extra work.
ClassicF1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm As I said earlier it's a home brew conversion for my pleasure only, I'll try to make it as accurate as my meagre scratch building skills will allow but it's not going to be MFH standard!
I would enjoy seeing some pictures of your conversion. I think the more difficult part over the side pods already discussed would be the rear wing and the rear wing pylon.
ClassicF1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:29 pm I'm beginning to think that I may have to compromise on the decals and lash something up using the older scheme. Or maybe adapt some of the later 78 decals for lettering and pin striping.....
Other decal options would be Spot Model's Scale Lab. They do custom decals. Not sure of cost but the quality looks good from what I've seen online. The other option is F1M member James B. He has made many custome sets of decals for me as well as many others here at F1M.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

Thanks for the interest. I have looked at Scale Lab and the thought of doing that artwork scares me to death!

I'm in the middle of building/modifying the rear wing but some way off putting the mounting together, I'll wait until I have the gearbox and oil reservoir sorted before fabrication of the mount and adjustable arm. I haven't taken any pictures so far as I've found that doing a WIP takes up time that can be used for building but I may do something when it's finished. - if I get decals!

Topic author
ClassicF1
Formula e
Formula e
Great Britain

Post by ClassicF1 »

Latest update, MFH got back to me about buying a decal sheet, no stock, which is why they are not offering the conversion set any more.
Well at least they replied, good customer relations and a pleasant surprise.

Dave