On The Bench

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: On The Bench

Post by Hacksaw »

Last up is the Ferrari 512S, while surfing the internet I came across a website that advertised this 1/12 scale model which is a long time favourite of mine. The resin kit is a disappointment but that hasn’t stopped me from working on it for the last two years.

The first problem to overcome was to check the alignment of various fixed points of the kit, the main difficulty here was getting the kit to sit level on a flat surface. After a great deal of shimming I was able to get the main body to sit level and to get all the fixed points to line up this was checked by breaking the blade of a worn-out tape measure into 200mm lengths and covering these with different colours of insulation tape. These coloured lengths of blade were then positioned at the fixed points on the body shell and held in place using clear sticky tape. With the coloured blades in place, it was just a simple task to eye in the blades and to confirm that everything was in alignment. Unfortunately lining up the engine cover wasn’t such a simple matter but as I was modifying the engine cover to the spyder variant corrections to the alignment could be incorporated into that work. But it still took a very long time to get the whole thing square and true.

I particularly like the spyder version of the 512S but the kit is of the early coupe body style, I am well on the way to modifying the engine cover but I don’t plan on removing the coupe’s roof until model is nearly finished as the roof offers some additional support to the top of the windscreen frame.

The V12 engine and gearbox are, let me put this politely, not correct. Because of this I have had to scratch-build these from plastic sheet, strip and rod only the distributor cap and the starter motor are from the parts box. Similarly, the chassis base plate, the dash panel and facia were all remade from plastic sheet and tube while the seats were cast in many parts around a Tamiya driver figure to which I had added raised seat detail thus making a male mould. The driver figure was then covered in thin polythene before pressing Tamiya two-part resin around small areas of the mould. When the whole mould had been cast over a period of several days the individual parts were then trimmed and then assembled together. Note don't try to cast the seat using this method in one go as you will be unable to release the seat from the mould. The passenger seat was much simpler to make, a simple flat mould with raised lines was made and this was pressed into a very thin layer of Tamiya two-part resin that was sandwiched between two sheets of very thin polythene. This was then left flat and put aside to set. When several of these sheets had been made they were cut and trimmed and glued together using Tamiya’s two-part resin.

This is not a kit for the beginner, regards,

Hacksaw
Attachments
512S Model  Alignment check NSF Resized
512S Model Alignment check NSF Resized
512S Model  Alignment check Front Resized
512S Model Alignment check Front Resized
512S Model Engine and gearbox underside Resized
512S Model Engine and gearbox underside Resized
512S Model Engine OS Resized
512S Model Engine OS Resized
512S Model Engine Above Resized
512S Model Engine Above Resized
512S Model  Engine and other bits Resized
512S Model Engine and other bits Resized
512S Model  Seats Resized
512S Model Seats Resized

Ffracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Mercedes
United States of America

Post by Ffracer »

Thanks for the update on the scale. I’m glad that you are able to derive at least some of the parts from existing kits. I’ll certainly be watching with interest as things develop.

Regards,

Paul

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Hey! I get to clear one off the bench with the completion of my West RC211V.
Attachments
20210524_164414_resized.jpg

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Is this the Classic Models Museum kit from Mexico?
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

capri-schorsch wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:08 pm Is this the Classic Models Museum kit from Mexico?
Hello Capri Schorsch,

The 512S model that I am working on is by ABC Brianza who operate from Italy while the delivery to me in Hong Kong was without any problems there were some missing parts but these were replaced efficiently and without fuss, some extras that I ordered were included for free with the replacement parts.

I think that the kit was designed some time ago and as a result it is not up to current resin kit standards whether cast or 3D printed, it is not a kit I would recommend to someone who is starting out making resin kits. But at the time I bought it, it was the only 1/12 scale 512S kit on planet earth.

Hacksaw

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Yeah sometimes it's hard for us modeler when there is only one kit available.

I made the Sunoco version with parts of the CMM kit and parts of the ABC kit a long time ago.

https://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com/gall ... -12-scale/

Was such a hard work.
But its unique and very cool looking.

Regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com