On The Bench

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

builder77
Backmarker
Backmarker

Re: On The Bench

Post by builder77 »

Manu
What is the French forum site?
I lost the link.
I am working on the 1/24 MP4/c2 and would love to see your thread.
Chris

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

here it is

http://www.f1passion.com/forum/viewtopi ... 09&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll translate it certainlly tomorrow night ;)

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

My thanks for the comments about the models featured in my earlier post. But why hasn’t anyone commented on the F1 car? A machine that has created much comment over the years with several modellers saying how they would like to see a kit of the car in a scale larger than 1/43. Does anybody out there want to have a guess as to what car it is supposed to be or are my scratch building skills that bad? :(

For Daniel, and Manu, and any one else who may be interested:

The Porsche 908/3 is based on a Tamiya body shell that was originally (1970’s) produced for radio controlled racing cars, the body was of a later incarnation of the 908/3 when it was fitted with a turbocharged engine and entered in the German CanAm type races that were popular at the time. Unfortunately for me this later version of the 908/3 had an increase in body width that required the removal of 17mm from the centre of the body shell and a rebuilding of the rear body/engine cover.

The engine is made up from the two Tamiya 934 engines the front two cylinders from one and the rear two from the other. A mould for the engine fan shroud was made but then I discovered that the VSRN / Model Cars drawing is not quite right in this respect as the centre line of the fan is not on the centre line of the engine but over to the left by an inch or two which in turn affects the clearance to the fuel pump, so that has to be done again.

Please don’t comment about the exhaust system, I know, I know, it’s a herd of turtles, :evil: the exhaust primary pipes were formed over a candle based on a written description of the system, got that massively wrong, on average 20 minutes to form a single pipe, allow for at least one pipe on each bank to be scraped that gives you an idea of how long it takes. I only found the Pelican Parts web site some time after I had finished the exhaust system and that shows how the primary exhaust pipes should be arranged. The tail pipes are from plastic chopsticks (pre-tapered :wink: ) and the four into one section was made up from two pairs of two into one sections that were in the bits box.

The gearbox is also from the 934 but severely modified to put the differential behind the gear clusters rather than in front. Some other mechanical bits are coming from a couple of sprues from the Porsche 935 that I ordered from Tamiya.

The main chassis is made from assorted sizes of Tamiya rod and tube with a few small diameter tubes that are used to locate the bodywork made using the softer Evergreen rod. The chassis was laid up over an enlarged drawing from Karl Ludvigsen’s book Porsche – Excellence Was Expected, unfortunately, this word crops up a lot when scratch building, the drawing was of the very early untraced development chassis which had a noticeably different arrangement of the chassis tubes at the front end, which I only discovered after having thought that I had finished the chassis. The resulting modification took two attempts to get right as the first one wasn’t quite as straight as it should have been :oops: .

The rear uprights are modified from the 934 kit while the front hubs were from the bits box, suspension arms and links were scratch built using the “eye” from various other suspension links and arms that were in the bits box.

When time permits I am experimenting on how to create a realistic glass fibre effect for the numerous glass fibre components that were used in the car, a recent post in F1M seems to have gone along the same lines that I was thinking of for some of the components but others will be a little more demanding.

Originally I had intended to do on of the JWA cars from 1970; this was primarily because I only had Firestone tyres from a Lotus 49 available. But the reissue of the Tyrrell F1 car a few years ago meant that I could order some spare Greedyear tires from Tamiya so that I could make the model of the 1971 Targa Florio winning car. The problem here was that the Greedyear tires were not wide enough so I developed a method to make them wider which I hope is evident in the pictures in my earlier post.

As for other odd bits and pieces the seat is modified from an old T70, the steering wheel is from the 934 with the spokes drilled out. The outer wheel rims were from the Tyrrell F1 kit, that way the tires fit, while the inner section of the rims may have come from a Matra MS12 via the bits box, the spokes themselves were modified from wheels for a radio controlled car, once again Tamiya in origin.

I hope that helps you, now what is the F1 car that I posted mages of earlier?

Hacksaw
Attachments
IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3855.jpg

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

gurney eagle? brm?

what ever it is, it looks like quite the project.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

daniel wrote:....that was a "joke" I got crazy every time because I couldn't even move my chair around
daniel
-germany-
I know what you mean! I'd think of this if only I found a place wher my foot could touch ground! :)
Anyway, cannot complain: I have two rooms of 3mx2m more or less...

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

Hacksaw

I must have missed this thread earlier, but your scratchbuild F1 looks very like a Lotus 43 BRM H16 to me! :)

If I'm not wrong, I'd be very interested to know how you've got to where you are with it, as it has been a car that I've always been fascinated with! I'd be especially interested in how you're tackling the engine :wink:

Hope I'm not wrong! :oops:

Regards

ES

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

oh, yes, sorry! hadn't noticed that: given the shape of the engine, it well seems an H16!! :) Great!

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

The prize, if there was one, goes to Emersonsquirrel. More to the point my faith in my model making is restored (I am easily pleased :D ).

The car is indeed intended to be the Lotus 43 as raced in 1966 by Arundel and Clark and in 1967 by Clark and Hill, entered 8 won 1 pretty good numbers compared to the majority of F1 cars to day yet in its day it was not liked because the engine was heavy and somewhat unreliable while the gearbox prone to selection problems. That said Jim Clark nursed R43/1 home to win the USA GP at Watkins Glen, the only finish that the car achieved.

The model is based on a Tamiya 1/12 scale Lotus 49; drawings from Model Cars magazine were obtained from the VSRN web site while images were collected from the internet.

The Lotus 49 monocoque was cut down, fattened out, wedged and rebuilt around new bulkheads to gain the desired profile; the nose cone was cut down and tapered to continue the line of the body. A new cockpit interior is partly built.

Wheel rims and tires are from the Lotus 49, but both the front and rear wheels were cut down and new spokes added to replicate the style of the wheels used. The front tires are straight from the Lotus 49 kit while three rows of tread had to be cut from the centre of the rear tires to obtain the correct width. The rear tires are held together with short lengths of plastic pipe that was found in the off-cuts box at the local hardware/plumbers shop. This pipe was intentionally purchased undersized as it is much easer to make a piece of pipe fatter by sticking strips of thin plastic card around the perimeter than it is to file down an oversized piece of plastic pipe.

The suspension components are mostly scratch built but the bottom of the rear hubs came from the bits box while the front hubs are from the Tamiya Honda 273 kit

The engine and gear box are the hart of the matter. Many years ago I read in a model making book that any complex shape can broken down into a collection of boxes or circles. The author, Windgrove I think, then went on to demonstrate this. Sure enough the BRM H16 engine is basically a collection of boxes. I drew the engine and gear box and working from that drawing proceeded to cut, stick and shape a series of boxes into the shape of the block. The trick was, I think, that I concentrated on shape of the block alone, when satisfied with that I then moved on to adding ribbing camshaft casings and finned covers, I didn’t try to do it all at once, all relatively straight forward after I was through a learning curve.

The exhausts primary pipes are Tamiya rod formed over a candle, it took ages but I am pleased with them. The 4 into 1 sections are scratch built but the tail pipes come from the bits box, from an old 312B and straightened out over a candle again.

The gearbox was built using a similar method to the engine. On this occasion the centre of attention was the exposed clutch casing at the rear of the gearbox, this required much trial and error to get right, the clutch itself is from a Porsche 934 with the starter ring carefully cut off and the remaining section of the clutch trimmed down by a couple of millimetres to the correct size and then the starter ring was glued back into place.

Initially I planed to use rivets similar to those used on jeans to replicate the injection trumpets, but while close in size they were not symmetrical, the open “bell” not being perpendicular to the main axis. Eventually I realised that the injection trumpets on the Tamiya 1/12 Honda 273 F1 car were as good a likeness as I was likely to get so two sets were ordered directly from Tamiya in Japan.

Now all that I have to do it to find some time to get on with making the model.

Hacksaw
Attachments
P1200478.JPG
P1200476.JPG
P1200468.JPG
P1200485.JPG

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

Something for : bbkbuys

The T70 MKIII kit that I am working on is a later reissue not an original but just as good. The model is based on chassis SN73/101 and when finished should resemble the Bonnier/Axellson car as it appeared in the 1968 BOAC 500, fitted with a Chevrolet V8, the book that you have, Lola V8 Coupes by Ian Bamsey, has a picture of the car at this event on the inside of the front cover.

In addition to the additional ducts and access panels (which both have working hinges) in the nose I have included the engine bay modifications that were necessary to get the Aston Martin engine to fit, these modifications were not “undone” when Bonnier installed a Chevrolet V8.

Other details include the internal wheel arches under the rear body section, the making of the early type of roll over bar and building something a little more realistic for the door locking frame and hinge mechanisms.

The front and cockpit areas of the monocoque have been detailed by the addition of a more realistic steering rack and suspension pick up points.

The doors have also been reinforced either side of the window, to do this I scored out U channel on the inner face of the two halves of the door frame and then bent a thin piece of brass rod to fit the required curve, the bottom end of the brass rod was located in a hole drilled into the bottom of the inner door panel where the U channel in the frame meets the main body of the door. The whole lot was then glued up and clamped together.

Here are some more images.

Hacksaw
Attachments
T70 Monocque Front 1.jpg
T70 Monocoque NS 2.jpg
T70 Door Reinforcement 1.jpg

Emersonsquirrel
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Fittipaldi, Surtees, Williams, McLaren, Lotus
Great Britain

Post by Emersonsquirrel »

Well I'm just glad I got it right! :lol:

Seriously though this looks a really interesting project and I was encouraged by your description of your approach, you made it sound as if even I could do it!

The only difference would be that I'd look to do it in 1/20th and would only have the Honda RA272 as a starting point....

I've got a hankering to do a number of these unusual, but interesting F1 cars, but think I'll have to start on something a little less ambitious!

Finally, thanks for bringing my attention to the VSRN site. I hadn't been previously aware of this site, but a quick google revealed a veritable treasure trove of drawings from the 50's, 60's and 70's. My printer will be busy tonight....! 8)

Hope you'll post some updates of this project as it progresses.

Best wishes

ES