1/20 1989 'grid'

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Re: 1/20 1989 'grid'

Post by Daliracing »

Hi everyone, another update!
i have been able to add a 2k clearcoat on both the Benetton and Lotus. After doing this the Benetton was ready for decals ( one of the most exciting parts of the build together with pulling of the masking tape after a paintjob)
As each time i do a build i want to do things 'better' i opted for a 2k gloss coat to apply the decals to, something i haven't done on the Ferrari/ Zakspeed builds. It did work out great for the Lotus so what could go wrong? Well when i was applying the decals i found out these suffered from silvering despite having a very smooth surface to adhere to. i also used micro sol and set which is something i always do and yet the silvering did happen (bad luck with the decals i think) To make things worse one of them ripped apart when trying to solve the silvering (at that stage i was done with it :x )
Pics below:
1.jpg
quick mock up:
2.jpg
silvering:
3.jpg
4.jpg
doing the clearcoat on the lotus was a succes apart from the usual little dustparts which should be easy to take care of.
9.jpg
New build start: Well why not :oops: i wanted to do one of the 'blue' cars next. My initial plan was to go with the Tyrrell but while having a look again at the Onyx i opted to go for that one. after looking at the instructions they made clear parts of the gearbox had to be cut off. the provide gearbox was slightly warped so i decided to draw it in cad and print my own one which i did. i do have some spare 6 spoke wheels also ready for paint (might do a slight 'bronze' hue on them as seen in some pictures) and will add the 'stardard' tyre valves and wheelnuts again. i still have to modify the edge on the floor which doesn't have the correct shape.
8.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
Having 'more' time to spend i hope to bring updates on a more regular basis

Gert

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Great update! Shame about the decal silvering.
Good spot on the Lotus wheel nuts, I totally missed this on my 101 so it has the kit wheel nuts.

Malc.

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Chinamalc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:54 pm Great update! Shame about the decal silvering.
Good spot on the Lotus wheel nuts, I totally missed this on my 101 so it has the kit wheel nuts.

Malc.
Indeed a shame about the silvering but i think i might be able to fix it altough i'm not rushing it for now.
Thanks! thought using the tamiya rims gave a good opportunity to make my own wheelnuts glad they look good

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Update: Onyx build starts getting shape. After the decal 'disaster' on the Benetton i started the Onyx as the first of many 'blue' cars of the 1989 season. Having a great example of a build here on F1M ( Thanks for sharing your build David!) I knew what to do. One of the known problems is The floor not matching the body. First i sanded away the edges on the floor, added some plastic on the edge of the body to fill that gap and sanded smooth. The proces of this is shown below.
( Just another thanks goes to Roberto from Icaro hobbies, i bought the kit a few years ago from him but it had a missing piece. Roberto made sure i got the piece and thus making sure i can build this kit. Great service from him as usual!)
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
Next up fixing the Frontwing inplace and some more filling sanding and testfitting. I'm really enjoying this build and this car, it really got my mojo back up for sure!

Gert

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

I've had good results against the silver with diluted wood glue that I put between the surface and the decal. It hardens transparently and fills the small air bubbles that are responsible for the silver.
Seema

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Seema wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:23 pm I've had good results against the silver with diluted wood glue that I put between the surface and the decal. It hardens transparently and fills the small air bubbles that are responsible for the silver.
That's interesting, do you think it's still possible to try this once the decals are settled?

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Austria

Post by Seema »

Daliracing wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:09 am
Seema wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:23 pm I've had good results against the silver with diluted wood glue that I put between the surface and the decal. It hardens transparently and fills the small air bubbles that are responsible for the silver.
That's interesting, do you think it's still possible to try this once the decals are settled?
You can try. I removed the decal from the surface with lots of water and a flat brush. It must be applied under the area where there is silver. For me it was just small areas on the edge of the decal.
Seema

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Seema wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:57 pm
You can try. I removed the decal from the surface with lots of water and a flat brush. It must be applied under the area where there is silver. For me it was just small areas on the edge of the decal.
Thanks for your reply, I still have some decals left of the sheet like the other numbers, I'll try it on a scrap piece first as I don't want to risk to much on the model for now.

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Austria

Post by Seema »

Daliracing wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:38 pm
Seema wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Thanks for your reply, I still have some decals left of the sheet like the other numbers, I'll try it on a scrap piece first as I don't want to risk to much on the model for now.
Mix the wood glue and water fairly thinly and avoid the formation of lumps. Remove the lumps. Thoroughly paint the area where the decal is to be applied. You can also mix the wood glue with decalsetter. After applying the solution, wait a maximum of 1 minute until the decal is applied. Then align the decal where it should go and let it rest for another 1-2 minutes. Then wipe the solution outward with a flat brush. Now you can use it even more softly. For difficult shapes, a small travel hairdryer will help. White glue stains may form outside the decal, which can be easily removed with water and a cotton swab. Take your time more than with freshly printed decals. Keep me updated with the results. Keep your fingers crossed and good luck.
Seema

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Hey everyone, first of all a Happy newyear to everyone here.
I've had a pretty busy time but i can say i'm happy i was able to finish the Lotus. I'll post some pictures of the proces below.
Making the seat fit properly adding some plasticard. It was a matter of glueing small strips and sanding to get it right.
17.jpg
Seat with the seatbelts. Also did some small CF strips on the sides. The cockpit is CF to.
18.jpg
15.jpg
A common 'issue' seems to be to large mirrors so again like with the Zakspeed i 3d printed my own ones:
19.jpg
3D printed ones:
20.jpg
Kit ones:
21.jpg
There were also some small details added like the power cut off, for this i painted some 0.15mm wire in red.
22.jpg
Pictures of the finished build:
23.jpg
24.jpg
Together with the other finished 1989 cars:
25.jpg
Next up might be the Benetton, still need to figure out the decals, haven't tried anything on it yet. The Onyx might also be worked on as well as some on the Mclaren.