1/20 1989 'grid'

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: 1/20 1989 'grid'

Post by Steffen_T »

Compared to the beautiful B188 the B189 looks rather bulky. I am curious to see how it looks with the four colours in place.
Those OZ rims usually look nice once they are finished. But getting there is a real pain!
I gave up trying to paint the yellow, but use the decals instead. I find that much easier.
Apart from that you have done a great job on the McLaren chassis and the body of the Lotus.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Great project and don’t know how I’ve missed it till now.
Th3 Williams and the Zakspeed look brilliant.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Very nice looking models so far, very cool and interesing project!!

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Thanks everyone for the kind words! i did paint the Mclaren (only the white so far) the body is smooth but still some dark spots on it. I first used tamiya grey primer, sanded the body and primed again but this time with white primer. After it had dried long enough i painted the body with with a white from a williams set of zp (yeah i know williams color on a mclaren :p) as it was the only white i have that would dry matt (had some issues with masking the zakspeed as the glue of the masking tape sticked to the glossy body. the tape was just regular tamiya masking tape). Will do some more coats when i find the time for it. Pic of the body so far:
313118744_531192271740189_1958315149192774191_n.jpg
Meanwhile i've been looking for a good 2k automotive primer. In a previous job i've used one which was just perfect, i might try to get it as painting white with is was never a problem. This would come in handy for the bright colors the others cars will need.

Gert

KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

daveyman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:04 pm That Williams looks fantastic, really well done. Would love more info on the changes you've made. The sidepod shaping looks perfect. Good notification about the Barclay decals, hadn't noticed the length issue.
Please keep us posted on progress with this beauty.
Hi,

Glad that you like it. I will start a thread when I've more time to devote to it. In the meantime, the modifications are very simple.

- Removed the inner sidepod ducts because they're moulded into the Monocoque. A bit of Sanding & a little Putty, it didn't take too long.

- I cut back the Sidepods & Floor to the "correct" length & profile (studied the few Pictures I could find & made an educated guess).

- The biggest Modification was the sidepods. When viewed from the front, the Sidepods have a large Radius. This shape extends backwards along the sidepod, upper edge in a cone shaped profile (ish). This was achieved by cutting a triangular shape into the Sidepods (highlighted in Green) & inserting some shaped Plasticard. Again a bit of Putty & some sanding. In hindsight, I could have made a better job of this but it's OK, I just feel that it could have been a little better.
Pods 30.jpg
- Reshaped the front Wing Flaps using Plasticard, a small quantity of Putty & some sanding.

So far it's been pretty straightforward :D Really enjoying your project.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Thanks KB. That radius is a key part of getting this right. I very much like what you've done. I always thought this car looked so much better as the FW13 rather than B spec.

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great job on the sidepod modification

Topic author
Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

Hi all! Managed to do some more work the past weeks on this project. I decalled the Lotus and painted both the Benetton and the Mclaren.
342097880_599171128813816_7012169611297402714_n.jpg
The Mclaren will have some extra added detail as i couldn't resist not adding it :lol:
i hope i can share more frequently in the future.

Cheers,
Gert

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

So much colour in one picture. Fantastic.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Looking fantastic!

M.