1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Re: 1/12 MFH Porsche 917 LH

Post by AJP01 »

I thought I was a pretty good builder, but I can say with confidence that I would not be able to achieve this kind of result. You have achieved a very high level of skill here in this build.

Best,
AJ

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

@AJ: Thanks for the compliment! But don't underestimate your own skills.. I think you're are doing a pretty impressive job with that F2002 project you have going!

@Roman: Yes it is coming together nicely, but to finish the job I need to stay critical and focus on the problems! I did a near-complete test fit which worked out pretty good, but the rear bottom part was very hard to temporary keep in place (probably due to poor geometry on the rear subframe or bad assembly from my side). That bottom part being slightly misplaced is the main root for trouble now. (At least you won't have that on a 917K!) Wheel misalignment was definitely due to geometry of the parts -- I had to undo a screw, crudely bend one part of the lower triangle and relocate the screwhole. Looks bad, but its not in view and I prioritize "macro" correctness over detail.
There is really something to say for creating your own subframe, if you have the skills and documentation, especially if that would improve strength between the the front and back halves of the car. As you probably know, MFH models are pretty heavy. If I lift it by the side pontoons, the gap between the front and rear cowling on top grows by 2 mm... it is not hard to imagine the car breaking in two :shock:
The 315S is a 1/12, but I see why you might think that.. I didn't do a proper WIP, but here are some pictures if you're interested (viewtopic.php?t=31011). That kit was a joy to build by the way, hardly any issues at all. The little Fiat, also in the picture, is 1/24 and therefore nearly invisible :)

Expect to finish in the weekend.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Marcus, I keep getting pssed off when I encounter the white metal parts. All frame parts are bent out of shape, even some of the larger ones. So you have to fix them, potentially in all 3 dimensions to get the whole assembly to fit together and end up with the intended dimensions. It's white metal, so it is heavy af (7,5gr/cm³) and soft at the same time. Brass being of a comparable density at least is relatively strong and aluminium is about a third of those two. Also not a fan of screwing things together. I'd rather laminate stuff or glue it, but that's just the special needs ;) me. Regarding building your own frame - the documentation is all over the internet. They are available in several books plus almost all 917s share the same basic frame layout, with some additions for different types (e.g. LH or /30) or an additional brace at a later date. The same is true for the 908. I think those frames are very similar, if not the same - at least around the cockpit area. In my opinion the only really difficult bit is getting the curved part for the windscreen right. That might be a pain in the ... and better done via 3D printing (or printing a jig in which to make it...). As for skills, I'm currently working on my soldering skills, but I think you've already got that down unless I'm misremembering your Matra build.
That 315S really is a 1/12? It looks so tiny compared to the other two - and especially if you know the size of the other two that are not that big to begin with. Wild! I saw the tiny car, didn't recognize it as a Fiat, but could tell it wasn't 1/12 so not really my cup of tea anyway :D
Cheers,
Roman

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looks very nice! I asked myself several times why the use WM on a Frame structure, a very weak point, same with the doors.
Hope you get it fixed and don`t worry, things the builder see everytime are mainly not visible to others. ;)
I know when you build a model, you allways remember and see the tiny imperfections, but the overall look makes them disapear finaly.
Take a stand!

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Calling it quits! This one was never going to be perfect, but I'm happy the way it turned out. Must say, it definitely makes quite a visual impact in real life!

I will certainly do a photoshoot in natural light, maybe outside, when the weather permits and the light is interesting. In the following pics it is clear that some cleaning still needs to be done... that's also a daylight job.

Thanks everyone for your ongoing support and tips!

DSCF5763.jpg
DSCF5764.jpg
DSCF5778.jpg
DSCF5781.jpg
DSCF5783.jpg
DSCF5789.jpg
DSCF5791.jpg

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

...part II, open cowling...

DSCF5794.jpg
DSCF5795.jpg
DSCF5799.jpg
DSCF5801.jpg

Thanks again for watching,

Marcus

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Marcus,

It is very nice to see your 917LH is finally done.

Your Porsche looks very amazing. Everything looks great.

You may know all the defects of the model but in your photos the car looks very nice. Cars of that era were not all the time built with very good fit. Teams were just looking for performance and the rest were secondary.

Looking forward to see more photos in natural day light and see how the purple blue will look.
C K
Canada

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

What an amazing result, super cool!! :D
Perfect job Marcus, love it! :)
Take a stand!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman