Ebbro Lotus 33 started

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Ebbro Lotus 33 started

Post by Orso »

I finally got two kits without any set plans on how to build them. I now have a thought of building one as chassis R9 that has the Lotus 25 cockpit tub and then get one of Smirkoffs late version tubs for the other car.
So I started to assembly the kit. As Bernhard showed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32291 the body sides don't fit at the rear as they are straight and don't follow the curve of the cockpit tub.

Using hot water I managed to bend the sides so I could glue the parts together. The fit didn't get 100% so I had to clamp the parts together while the glue set but I got a good fit in the end.

But there are stress marks in the plastic after this. I tried to fit the upper body after this and found a small miss alignment but after enlarging the left hole in the tub a bit it fits fine.
The problem with the sides has made me hesitant to get the 3D printed tub for the next build. There will be tensions in the rear wanting to split the joint and knowing how brittle super glue is I feel that it is a large risk it will break. Perhaps I should try to convert the tub instead.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Re: Ebbro Lotus 33 started

Post by Orso »

I have a Lotus 25 that I started but the project went to sleep. I brought it out to build the engine to see if it will fit inside the Lotus 33. If it doesn't fit under the engine cowl I need to think about this. I have painted the body's green and need to let the paint set before doing anything more.

While waiting I will finish the Lotus 25 engine. I found some pictures from 1964 and 65 with the body parts of and some pictures showed the gear box with a golden hue. It was a good opportunity to get some colour in there so I first added clear yellow over the grey metallic I had painted the gear box with. Then I added e coat of clear orange followed by Tamiya smoke. I'm not entirely happy with the result but it will add a spot of colour at the rear.
Last edited by Orso on Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Post by wadny »

I recently had to glue together two halves of an upper body that had a thin joint along the top. After gluing them together, I reinforced the joint on the inside using a paste I made from small bits of styrene mixed with liquid cement. I mixed in just enough liquid cement to form a thick paste. It takes a while for the cement to dissolve the plastic. When applied to the inside of the body glue joint, it welds the joint forming a solid piece of plastic. Much stronger than super glue or anything else I can think of. Give it a try.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Sweden

Post by Orso »

That is a good advise but the problem is that probably there is a different plastic in the 3D print so I'm not sure if the plastic glue will work on it also I doubt that it is possible to reach the inside.

wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Post by wadny »

Ah, OK. Yes, 3D printed parts are not styrene, so that won't work. File away for future reference, I guess.