Tyrrell P34 Swedish GP 1976 Tamiya 1/12

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: Tyrrell P34 Swedish GP 1976 Tamiya 1/12

Post by PeteJ »

prancing_fox wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:23 pm Guys, thanks for Your advices. Want to clarify. I wish to became not semi-gloss, but gloss surface in stanards of 70's. I will test on spoons first and than will be clear. Maybe I'll leave it as it's now.
Good point about the "standards of the 70's". This is really an issue of "the scale effect of paint". Race cars until very recently, didn't have great paint jobs. The purpose of the paint was to make the car recognizable. They knew that the car was going to get beat up, so no reason to spend a lot of time on cutting and buffing. Spray down a coat of the color you want and off you go.

However, on a scale model, that finish doesn't work in my opinion. When we view a model on a table we are mostly seeing it from about a foot or more away. In scale that works out to about 20 feet away. At that distance all the rough and poorly finished paint is not visible and all you see is a glossy paint job. This is my opinion about model paint, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. None of us is right or wrong. Do whatever makes you happy! It is your art.

Craggyisland
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Wales

Post by Craggyisland »

Must comment on the state of the paintwork on 70s race cars. I visited Tyrrell during the 1976 season, and as part of the tour, they mentioned that all bodywork was stripped and repainted when the cars returned to Okham between races. It was important to the team and its sponsors that the cars should always look perfect.

Topic author
prancing_fox
F3
F3
Your Name: Igor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Felipe Massa
Ukraine

Post by prancing_fox »

Craggyisland wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:21 am Must comment on the state of the paintwork on 70s race cars. I visited Tyrrell during the 1976 season, and as part of the tour, they mentioned that all bodywork was stripped and repainted when the cars returned to Okham between races. It was important to the team and its sponsors that the cars should always look perfect.
Very interesting information! Thank you!

Guys, i will try to reduce a shine on 20-30%. Still like a mirror, but not perfect. Don't want a surface that looks like a candy.

JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Tyrrell
Spain

Post by JesusM »

PeteJ wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:46 pm
prancing_fox wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:23 pm Guys, thanks for Your advices. Want to clarify. I wish to became not semi-gloss, but gloss surface in stanards of 70's. I will test on spoons first and than will be clear. Maybe I'll leave it as it's now.
Good point about the "standards of the 70's". This is really an issue of "the scale effect of paint". Race cars until very recently, didn't have great paint jobs. The purpose of the paint was to make the car recognizable. They knew that the car was going to get beat up, so no reason to spend a lot of time on cutting and buffing. Spray down a coat of the color you want and off you go.

However, on a scale model, that finish doesn't work in my opinion. When we view a model on a table we are mostly seeing it from about a foot or more away. In scale that works out to about 20 feet away. At that distance all the rough and poorly finished paint is not visible and all you see is a glossy paint job. This is my opinion about model paint, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. None of us is right or wrong. Do whatever makes you happy! It is your art.
Fully agree!! It is our own hobby and we have to enjoy as much as we can doing it. Good words!!