STP Turbine '68 Indy 500 Double Build

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Re: STP Turbine '68 Indy 500 Double Build

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

feelgood wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:10 am Please note: only the left front tire was yellow!
Ah excellent, I did not know this! Thanks to you and the others for validating this as well.

James, it was my pleasure to send you that kit and I hope we meet next time I am in Spain. It's an absolutely gorgeous country and we loved every moment of it.

Orso, I'm going with flourescent for a few reasons. I saw Michael from IndyCals do one with the same paint combo and it looked great. I also think TS36 is a tad brighter than the real STP orange, so a yellow that's a tad brighter as well should work out. And finally, I'm just really bad a painting regular yellow (terrible!) so I'm going to try this one in the hopes it goes better.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Orso wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:23 pm Should the yellow really be a fluo colour? I know that it look that way on some picture but it seems to be lot of work for a tire paint.
Yes. Granatelli loved his fluorescent paints.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:54 pm
feelgood wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:10 am Please note: only the left front tire was yellow!
Ah excellent, I did not know this! Thanks to you and the others for validating this as well.

James, it was my pleasure to send you that kit and I hope we meet next time I am in Spain. It's an absolutely gorgeous country and we loved every moment of it.

Orso, I'm going with flourescent for a few reasons. I saw Michael from IndyCals do one with the same paint combo and it looked great. I also think TS36 is a tad brighter than the real STP orange, so a yellow that's a tad brighter as well should work out. And finally, I'm just really bad a painting regular yellow (terrible!) so I'm going to try this one in the hopes it goes better.
TS36 is highly inconsistent and even at it's best it's still not bright enough. Mr. Color Fluorescent Red is a batter match, but TS36 will work - if you have a good can. Those STP cars were VERY bright.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I also believe - but have not confirmed this -that the Lotus logo was fluorescent. I'm only about 50% sure and my threshold for overriding an accepted 'norm' is 99%.

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

As a spectator at the Indianapolis 500 all through the ‘70’s (next year will be my 50th Indy 500) I can back up the statement that the Granatelli/Patrick cars were VERY bright. Even on a overcast day the STP flourescent day-glo red looked positively neon!
The photographic & lithographic processes could never come close to replicating the intensity of that color. Photographic dyes, and CMYK lithographic inks couldn’t replicate fluorescent pigments.

ronnie1972
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ronnie1972 »

A few years ago Replicarz did a batch of STP Patrick Eagles from the ill-fated 1973 500, both the Johncock and Savage cars, and I thought they came closest to STP Day-Glo Red I’ve seen. But they still don’t have quite the same intensity. The real cars had a flourescent red that bordered on hot pink. All STP Indycars from ‘65 on wore the same color, including Jim Clark’s Lotus entries from ‘66 & ‘67, and Mario’s 1969 winning Brawner Hawk. If you ever get a chance to go through the museum at IMS, you get a good look at some of those cars up close (and they look red or orange in photos).

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Hi everyone,

Small update. First, thanks for the additional paint information and confirmation of the flourescent colors! Especially to Michael for the tip on the Mr. Color Flourescent Red. I happened to have a bottle of it that I purchased a few months ago thinking "some day I'm going to need this." Glad I had that thought a while ago.

https://i.imgur.com/0N5GzVu.jpg

While I wait for the yellow paint and decals to arrive in the mail I've been working on some detail bits. The (oil?) tank attached to the back of the monocoque is pretty basic and only one-sided. So I sheeted one of them to make it a real tank.

https://i.imgur.com/OSg1Jsk.jpg

I then painted both (one stock, the other detailed) IJN Green. The detailed version on the right got some tubing and fittings.

https://i.imgur.com/YWyvuPT.jpg

The exhaust stack from the kit is hollow, so I added the 3 strakes that were on the real car. Both pieces will need a lot of cleaning and sanding.

https://i.imgur.com/DqT4qAu.jpg

And finally, the wheels. The backside of the wheels are solid, which really hurts the depth of them. Especially considering that the wheel face is nicely rendered. So for the detailed version on the right, I took a Dremel and opened up the hole and make it possible to see between the spokes. The wheel face, not the back that I opened up, contains the axle mounting points so lining them up shouldn't be an issue.

More to come soon!
Jake

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Great project, Jake. Keep it up!

Jordan

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Jay,

Nice detailed work on the parts. Are the tires from the kit?
C K
Canada

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

CK wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm Nice detailed work on the parts. Are the tires from the kit?
Thank you! The ones in the photo are from the kit. I've got a set of resin tires I'll use for the detailed one, and the simple build will keep the kit tires.