1/24 Hasegawa Zakspeed ZK891

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1/24 Hasegawa Zakspeed ZK891

Post by lvndeva »

I started painting the body work. I used Tamiya White Primer, followed by 3 coats of Tamiya LP Pure White. Then i made masking templates by photocopying the decal sheet and tracing the gold line on a masking tape, before cutting using a new blade. Took several attempts but i finally was satisfied. The i applied this cut masking tape onto the body. Was quite tricky to align the masking tape between the monocoque and engine cover. i had to use all reference i had, including pics from google to ensure the colour split would be correct.
Then i started painting the red areas using LP Italian Red. Not sure if its an exact match or not, i just didn't want to waste too much time looking for a perfect shade of red. But so far the outcome looks good.
Once the red dried, i started applying the decals. Excellent decals made by shunko, they seem better than the last time i used them, very receptive to micro set/sol. I choose to do the car number 35, as i felt that number somehow looks better on the car, compared to 34.
I then sprayed 6 layers of Mr hobby Super clear using spray can. Now im going to let the bodywork dry and start on the engine and other parts of the car.
Attachments
8.JPG
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
Last edited by lvndeva on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

At this point, i also need to paint parts of the monocoque black, like the area behind the drivers head. There seem to be some details there, looks like some sort of filler cap etc. Anyway i would prefer to spray paint, but im worries about using masking tape over decals as the risk of ripping out the decals are high. I just had too many painful cases and im not willing to try again :mrgreen:

So that leave only brush painting as an option. Anyone knows a good brand for semi gloss paint that can be brushed on nicely with self levelling effect and all that? I saw someone brush paint the bottom engine cover of a CG901b using testors black chrome. Unfortunately i cant get that paint in Malaysia, even on ebay it seems quite scarce and pricey. We have brands like Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo, Modo, Finishers. The paint ideally should also be easy to wipe off using thinner (like enamel paints). so that any excess can be cleaned up
Attachments
7.JPG

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I have used both Tamiya enamel and Humbrol enamel before. You need to use artist grade turpentine (from art shops not from hardware stores) to thin them out. The paint drys slow and will self level.

Try it on some scrap first to get the thickness of the paint to your liking.
C K
Canada

Luzne
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Pierluigi
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Tyrrell
Italy

Post by Luzne »

lvndeva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:57 am So that leave only brush painting as an option. Anyone knows a good brand for semi gloss paint that can be brushed on nicely with self levelling effect and all that? I saw someone brush paint the bottom engine cover of a CG901b using testors black chrome. Unfortunately i cant get that paint in Malaysia, even on ebay it seems quite scarce and pricey. We have brands like Tamiya, Gunze Sangyo, Modo, Finishers. The paint ideally should also be easy to wipe off using thinner (like enamel paints). so that any excess can be cleaned up
When I use hand brush (flat brush) I prefer Humbrol enamel, and yes it is sufficently self leveling.

Pierluigi
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough

Daveporschephile
F2
F2

Post by Daveporschephile »

I have recently brush painted using Tamiya LP paints which seem to flow nicely.

Topic author
lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

CK wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:37 pm I have used both Tamiya enamel and Humbrol enamel before. You need to use artist grade turpentine (from art shops not from hardware stores) to thin them out. The paint drys slow and will self level.

Try it on some scrap first to get the thickness of the paint to your liking.
Thanks all for your suggestions. I think i will follow CK's suggestion first, since i already have Tamiya enamel semi gloss black lying around.
I just need to get the turpentine, which is easy.

I tried to brush paint using Tamiya LP as well, but i felt the outcome was not good, after afew strokes the brush seem to start removing paint from the layers below.
But this is just my experience. So i will avoid LP.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

About the seat colour, I wrote to Bernd Schneider himself, and he confirmed that the seat was black but a padding was always used except once or twice. This padding was white for race cars and red for the spare car, see the photo below in Monaco. Eventually I did mine with the red seat!
Zakspeed Monaco 1989-Schneider
Zakspeed Monaco 1989-Schneider
Zakspeed - Hasegawa.jpg
I think you did the right thing to build this car, it's a nice simple model which kind of made history...in its own way!
As others said, be careful with suspension arms, they are so fragile and easy to break, I managed to break almost all of them!
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Well done on answering the seat colour issue. Very useful info, thanks for sharing it.

Topic author
lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

Corpsegrinder wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:41 pm About the seat colour, I wrote to Bernd Schneider himself, and he confirmed that the seat was black but a padding was always used except once or twice. This padding was white for race cars and red for the spare car, see the photo below in Monaco. Eventually I did mine with the red seat!

Zakspeed Monaco 1989.jpg

Zakspeed - Hasegawa.jpg

I think you did the right thing to build this car, it's a nice simple model which kind of made history...in its own way!
As others said, be careful with suspension arms, they are so fragile and easy to break, I managed to break almost all of them!
Thanks for the information and sharing mate.
I notice your model is well done, has extras like the radiator pipes and covers. :D

I'm working on the suspension and engine at the moment, will upload some pics this week.

Topic author
lvndeva
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by lvndeva »

so i started working on the engine and suspension bits. Color used was tamiya LP semi gloss black, LP Gun Metal, Mr Colour Silver, Mr Colour Gold.
I found some pics online of completed model (some in this forum), showing some wiring details. So i copied this idea. Looks not bad.

I remember being warned about the suspension being susceptible to breaking. Well...your not wrong! i managed to break some on both left side and right side of the engine.1st problem i had was the suspension end didnt want to go into the female mating part on the rear brake duct, when i force, the silver suspension broke. I think this was avoidable though...the suspension assembly is very similar to tamiya, whereby most of the rear suspension need to be assembled to the brake duct. I should have test fitted these before painting. I would have used a drill to make the female mating hole bigger,, so that it can slot in easier.
Another problem i had was that i wrongly assembled one of the front brake discs on the rear, as a result, the calipers where not on the same location for both right side and left side. You can see this in some of the engine assembly pics. i somehow missed this, and only realized once the engine was built complete with wiring all done. When i tried to remove the brake disc, some suspension joints broke. I did use some tamiya thin glue to put everything back in place. But im not sure if they will hold once i assemble the rear tyres. Have to keep and eye out for this.
Attachments
15.JPG
14.JPG
13.JPG
12.JPG
11.JPG
10.JPG