BAR Honda 006 (Tamiya FW24 conversion)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

BAR Honda 006 (Tamiya FW24 conversion)

Post by martinpesce »

Hi all,

At the end of the year it's time for a new conversion project that I have been eyeing for some time: I have some space left in my cabinet for an early 2000s car (I learned this is a pragmatic way to decide what to build :lol: ) and figured that tamiya conversions always give great fun. So... it was a matter of being patience until a nice scrap FW24 appeared on the Dutch auction site and convert it to... the 2004 BAR Honda 006!

Perhaps not the most obvious candidate but as the cars were drawn by the same designer (Geoff Willis), closer inspection reveals a proper similarity in "basis", the BAR just carrying a lot more "extra" material in terms of fins, engine cover, etc. that are ok to tackle with plastic surgery. Decals were harder to come by than imagined, but the help of some fellow members should keep me going! First, there's a few bigger shape conversions needed, so let's get started:

First I took up the airbox, which is pentagonal on the BAR. After adding a bit of material on the bottom inside corners and top outside, the triangular shape of the FW24 was converted:
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG
IMG_8202.JPG
Next up is a (sizable) nose job! Not planning a full WIP but will update soon!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: BAR Honda 006 (Tamiya FW24 conversion)

Post by stubeck »

Looks good! Always impressed with how people can do such a good job with the airboxes. Whenever I try something it just looks like a blob.

Topic author
martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

Onto the nose... which is quite different between the two cars, the FW24 being high and quite sharply narrowing at the tip, the BAR being much more curved downward and wide. If I would have had an F2001 nose cone that would have been a better start!

To get the right shape, first I cut the nose in half laterally with a PE-saw, before glueing the parts back together at a much stronger downward angle. Some filling with plastic card to cover the main holes. Next I added two thicker (1 mm) plastic card parts on either side of the nose tip, followed by a thinner section (0.5 mm) in the middle. Then, a very thin piece of card replicating the (now new) nose profile to get a smooth result. Pre-putty, the result looks a bit like the Lotus twin-tusk (2014), but that should work well as a basis.
IMG_8204.JPG
IMG_8205.JPG
IMG_8206.JPG
After a big round of puttying and sanding, the result looks ok. More detailing will be needed later, but I first focus on getting the general shape of the car right. Apart from some work on the underside of the chassis (the Williams has a small but lumpy "keel" with the BAR being much longer and less pronounced), it is time for a mock-up of chassis and cowling:
IMG_8366.JPG
Thanks to a very helpful member sending me a scan of the S27 decals set, I can use the engine cover decal to help me work out the required extension of the bodywork. I know S27 dimensions are not typically "golden ratio" so I use F1 Modeling magazine and Piola's 2004 Technical Analysis as reference material to the side. Now that we're on it, I could not resist writing car number 9 on the nose to get a bit warmed up to the end result...

Topic author
martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

Final step (for now) was to create the engine cover fin, again out of plastic card. The main challenge with these 2004-aero parts is that they are quite interconnected, so I immediately had to cater for the wing at the end of the cover, just above the gearbox. Just a flat "dummy" wing for now, which I may replace with a slightly curved plane from the spares box later.
IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8432.JPG
Finally a question: does anyone have a spare set of BBS wheels available that they are willing to trade? I have a painted set of OZ Wheels or an unpainted set of Enkei wheels to offer. Thanks in advance!

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hello Martin,

Nice work with the BAR conversion project. I can relate to the challenges you're facing as I've been working on another 1:20 conversion project recently.

If you don't already have it, I would recommend adding Tamiya's two-part epoxy putty to your scratch building supplies. I used this putty extensively on a previous conversion with great success. It's quite a versatile product too - it can be sanded, filed, drilled and painted with ease. The best aspect of this material is that it doesn't shrink like other tube putties tend to do.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare set of BBS wheels available, but I will look forward to seeing your continued progress with this conversion project.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

wilchan
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Will C
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mika Hakkinen, Jacque Villeneuve
United States of America

Post by wilchan »

Wow, this is a really cool conversion project!! Please keep the update coming!!
Visit my personal page: http://www.wilchan.com :)

http://www.wilchan.com/j199/img_icon_1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f2001/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/m193/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/r1/img_icon1.jpghttp://www.wilchan.com/f310b/img_icon1.jpghttp://wilchan.com/lotus_102/img_icon1a.jpg

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Nice start, I have the S27 decals and had planned just to paint the Williams and decal it up...
You are certainly taking this next level..

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great, the type of transformations I love to see done! :D
I gotta hurry up with decals!! :mrgreen:

Topic author
martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

Many thanks for the encouraging comments! More to follow soon I hope.

Topic author
martinpesce
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by martinpesce »

JamesB wrote:Great, the type of transformations I love to see done! :D
I gotta hurry up with decals!! :mrgreen:
No pressure James, I will just keep throwing out the updates :lol: