1/20 MFH BRM P115

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Re: 1/20 MFH BRM P115

Post by CelicaGT »

No, this one is not abandoned! I hit a few setbacks and then got busy with other things and needed a break (apparently 4 months!). :oops:

First I painted the orange band on the nose but a big piece of green paint peeled off when I removed the mask! :evil: Then the lower support piece that mates the engine to the body just did not fit! And finally the bottom piece of body work did not fit either!

This bottom piece took a ton of sanding and test-fitting and more sanding before it finally fit.

Then the engine would not line up correctly with the body. This piece was just way too thick and so when it was placed on the engine it had a couple mm gap on the underside of the body. I don't think it's anything I did but maybe it was my fault. It required thinning the metal 'arms' by a few mm. This was a tricky and time-consuming job that required very frequent test fits. The metal also became so thin I was worried about snapping one of the arms off by mistake. I did finally thin it enough so that it fit. :)

Everything lines up! :D

I decided to fit all of the wheels early to help with making sure everything was straight and even. I'll probably remove them again to put all the decals on.

I made a lot of progress and now it's really starting to look like a BRM! 8) I just need to retry the orange band on the nose and fit the radiator at the front. And decals and windscreen...ok still a bit left, but much closer now! :lol:

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Very cool!

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

Glad to see your BRM!
I’m pretty surprised about the issue with the engine mount as it looks to be almost the same than on the Lotus 43 and the fit was perfect.
Can’t wait to see more!

Pascal
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

pgarat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm Hi,

Glad to see your BRM!
I’m pretty surprised about the issue with the engine mount as it looks to be almost the same than on the Lotus 43 and the fit was perfect.
Can’t wait to see more!

Pascal
Yeah, I still can't figure out what happened. :?: Everything else fits really well so I don't think I made any mistakes but it's always possible, especially with a more complicated kit like this one.

I've attached the radiator and all the piping (tricky job on this one that required many pipes to line up at once).

And I tackled painting the orange stripe again:

Moment of truth! Whew! No green paint peeled off and only a little bit of orange paint needed cleaning up. The orange stripe actually looks cleaner this time around so that's a win! It's not perfect but close enough. :)

And I cut out the windscreen. I'm really not great at that but after putting so much time into this one I'm just accepting that not everything can be perfect. :|

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Excellent work, glad your orange stripe was successful this time. I’ve had paint peel off with the masking and it’s just 🤬🤬🤬🤬

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

I would have gone for Orange first on white primer, then masking the orange and spray green. Allways better to start with the light colours and the the darker ones on top.
Maybe you can improve the edges from the windscreen a bit with sandpaper, cutting them is allways a pain, still know that.
Overall a very nice build, looks good!
Take a stand!

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

jorgeralvear wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 pm Excellent work, glad your orange stripe was successful this time. I’ve had paint peel off with the masking and it’s just 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Thanks! 8)
gp-models wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 am I would have gone for Orange first on white primer, then masking the orange and spray green. Allways better to start with the light colours and the the darker ones on top.
Maybe you can improve the edges from the windscreen a bit with sandpaper, cutting them is allways a pain, still know that.
Overall a very nice build, looks good!
I'll try that next time with the paint order. I did a bit of sanding on the windscreen but maybe will try a bit more. Thanks for the advice! :D

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Another long delay. I have been working non-stop (in my real job, not modelling :lol: ) and not had much time to work on this. Also, the DANG tire decals! :x :oops: They never end up completely flat and even with decal softener they aren't looking how I want them to. Maybe next time I will attempt to paint them on.

I have a few small things left, like maybe messing with the tire decals a bit more, but overall it's done! :D Proper pics to follow, hopefully not in another month! :shock:

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Looks great!!

Flinstone
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell