1/12 Tamiya Williams FW14B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

TimGoheen
F3
F3
Your Name: Timothy Goheen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull Max Verstappen
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Williams FW14B

Post by TimGoheen »

What an awesome looking build !

Topic author
crashfasano
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Michael Schumacher and anyone in front of Lewis Hamilton
Canada

Post by crashfasano »

Happy freaking new year, it's snowing again. :( I've done some work on the dash and the switch box that attaches to the seat. I sprayed them with Vallejo Gloss Varnish to protect the decals. They were included with the Top Studio stuff. I put the screen in the dash, then coated it with Micro Kristal Klear. I think it actually looks like it's supposed to. There are 6 photo etch nuts on the dash, but they're not easy to see. i realized I'm getting close to finishing the cockpit, huh, little surprised there. After that it's on to the Top Studio Forward Bulkhead and dampers. :D
Attachments
Dash, switches for bulkhead and switch panel for seat with decals
Dash, switches for bulkhead and switch panel for seat with decals
Dash with photo-etch nuts and decals
Dash with photo-etch nuts and decals
Bulkhead with photo-etch nuts
Bulkhead with photo-etch nuts
Dash with readout installed
Dash with readout installed
Rugby gets rid of the frustration!

Wayne
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: DOUGLAS WAYNE SCOTT
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Favorite F1 team is Ferrari.
Canada

Post by Wayne »

Hi Crash. I am just starting my build of the FW14b so following yours with much interest. I have all the Top Studio sets (and also have no more money). They are excellent kits. I have started on the front bulkhead and the cockpit sets as I want to sort all that out before I glue the cowl in place. I'm also working through any mods to the tub and anything else that will cause a lot of rough handling of parts. As an FYI, I have ordered stuff (the TS sets among other bits) from a Canadian supplier outside Calgary. He is Paul's Models and More. No affiliation on my part, just a local vendor who carries good stuff and will save dough on shipping. And thanks for the lakeshore pics. I spent some time in the Peg during my working days. Oh, a question for you and other members of the forum. Have you sorted a color for the gold suspension parts?

Topic author
crashfasano
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Michael Schumacher and anyone in front of Lewis Hamilton
Canada

Post by crashfasano »

Hi Wayne,
Welcome to the Forum. There's lots of amazing stuff in here, a lot of it way above my pay grade. I just used the Tamiya X colours for the gold. My modelling is sort of box stock. If I can afford it, I'll buy some upgrades like I did for this one. One piece of advice, when I attached the screws to hold the metal parts for the suspension on the back of the bulkhead, The screws pushed out the photo-etch nuts on the front. You might want to sand them down a little, put the screws in first, then add the nuts. Who'd have thought I'd be offering advice on this site?

Wayne
Spectator
Spectator
Your Name: DOUGLAS WAYNE SCOTT
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Favorite F1 team is Ferrari.
Canada

Post by Wayne »

Thanks, Crash. Good advice on the Bulkhead hardware. I am ready to accept any and all good input from fellow modellers.

Topic author
crashfasano
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Canada

Post by crashfasano »

So far this year we've had more than 1.3 meters of snow. For you Americans, that's over 4 feet. :shock: I spend more time shoveling out my parking stall than I do working on the FW14. We have made some progress with the Top Studio Cockpit Kit. These pictures are the steering shaft. A word of caution, test fit the pipe in the knuckle before you bend them into shape. Using a pin drill after you've bent them means any notion of everything being square is gone. I used a piece of cardboard and taped the last piece down with a small bit of cello tape and it made a huge difference. Much fewer blue clouds wafting around my work table.

P.S. The universal joint actually works!!!
Attachments
Steering shaft put together
Steering shaft put together
Closeup on Steering Knuckle
Closeup on Steering Knuckle
Different view of Steering Knuckle
Different view of Steering Knuckle

Topic author
crashfasano
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Canada

Post by crashfasano »

Finished working on the dash and steering support. I had to shave the steering support mount off the back of the bulkhead. The angle from the dash through the support meant it had to be moved. It may have been from when I put the pieces together to mount on the back of the dash. There's 4 pieces you have to match up and glue together. I used the shaft to make sure they were in alignment without it being mounted on the bulkhead. That may have made the difference. i don't have to drill a hole through the top of the car, so it must be ok.
Attachments
Front of Dash with all the switches mounted
Front of Dash with all the switches mounted
Rear of dash with painted support bearing
Rear of dash with painted support bearing
Front of dash with painted support bearing
Front of dash with painted support bearing
Dashboard with steering shaft and support bearing
Dashboard with steering shaft and support bearing
Rear of Cockpit Bulkhead
Rear of Cockpit Bulkhead
Front of Cockpit Bulkhead
Front of Cockpit Bulkhead

Topic author
crashfasano
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Canada

Post by crashfasano »

Did the wiring from the rear wall to the bulkhead. There's a reason Top Studio gives yo more wire ties than the instructions call for..... Those itty bitty pieces you have to wrap around and thread through those tiny holes before trying to tighten them. One of the other reasons they invented Single Malt Scotch. Trying to find them on the table top or the floor after they popped out of the tweezers is not for the faint of heart. They will stick to a magnet, but then so will a lot of other junk. Then you have to try and pry it off without wrecking it. Really, I was having way to much fun. At least I'm getting better at it. When I do the Radiator and ECU kit, I'll have learned to swear in 6 different languages. See? Progress!!!
Attachments
Left side of cockpit with bulkhead mounted.
Left side of cockpit with bulkhead mounted.
Right side of cockpit with bulkhead mounted
Right side of cockpit with bulkhead mounted

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

Excellent progress. 👍👍

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman