Leyton House CG 901B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Re: Leyton House CG 901B

Post by wadny »

gp-models wrote:What kind of clear did you use on this? Decanded 1K stuff? Looks the way.
I would go for a 2k clear when you have a gun to spray it, that leaves the option to sand without sanding to the base colour, 1k material contains shrinking over the time and 2k not. 2K leaves also a better shiny look and removes light imperfections on the surface. ;)
I used a one-part gloss clear lacquer from scalefinishes.com. I have also used Zero's one-part clear. I've used 2k stuff in the past; it's a bit more trouble, but it definitely produces excellent results. I still have some, so may go back to that for the rest of the car.

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

I spent quite a bit of time putting the carbon fiber decals on the rear half of the tub. Studio 27 breaks it down into a lot of individual sections to make it easier, and it works pretty well. There was one minor problem area on the sides near the front of the cockpit opening. The decals didn't completely cover the black paint I had applied following the drawings in the kit instructions. Also, the corner got messed up a bit on the left side. I'll have to make some fill-in pieces from Scale Motorsports stuff, since I don't have any spare Studio 27 material.

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

I also shot some Alclad gloss black base and stainless steel on the headers. Considering that they're the kit plastic parts with a lot of filing, shaping and sanding, I think they look OK.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

The tub looks beautiful. I have always loved the contrast between the bright blue and the C/F and you have captured it perfectly. Really looking forward to seeing more of this.

robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

wadny wrote:Image
Beuatiful work for sure! One comment: the interior carbon fiber is matt / flat, like a blackboard, due to the manufacturing process. I sat many times in the CG891 monocoque that Maurício Gugelmin flipped at the start of the Paul Ricard race in 1989. We had that monocque in our university lab. A good portion of the right edge of the monocoque was ground off from sliding over the asphalt. I hope it's still there.

Rob

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

Rob, thanks for the info. I was planning on spraying the interior with matt clear, and gloss on the outside.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

robdebie wrote:
wadny wrote:Image
Beuatiful work for sure! One comment: the interior carbon fiber is matt / flat, like a blackboard, due to the manufacturing process. I sat many times in the CG891 monocoque that Maurício Gugelmin flipped at the start of the Paul Ricard race in 1989. We had that monocque in our university lab. A good portion of the right edge of the monocoque was ground off from sliding over the asphalt. I hope it's still there.

Rob
Hi Rob,

If you mean at TU Delft the tub is still there. I was at the lab for work frequently. (Off topic i know). 8)

Hein
Attachments
20180118_144450.jpg
Last edited by Hein on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Very nice build!!, looking forward to more updates :D

Topic author
wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by wadny »

Thanks for the encouraging comments, guys! I put some small patches on the front corners of the carbon fiber on the tub using Scale Motorsports decal material. It's not a perfect match, but I think it looks OK. It should be ready for clear coat.

robdebie
F2
F2

Post by robdebie »

Hein wrote:Hi Rob,

If you mean at TU Delft the tub is still there. I was at the lab for work frequently. (Off topic i know). 8)

Hein
Yep, that's the one! But I do not recognise the exact location. Possibly the composites lab?

As I remember it, professor Beukers arranged through his contacts with Henny Vollenberg, who partly owned March back then. It arrived with the front upper part removed. On the front side of the cockpit opening, lines were sketched to outline next year's cockpit opening. You can see that vaguely in your photo.

Rob