1996 R*thm@ns Williams Renault FW18 (1:20 Studio 27).

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: 1996 R*thm@ns Williams Renault FW18 (1:20 Studio 27).

Post by CK »

Your work on the diffuser looks great.

I wonder why the piece was so thick from the beginning. The part looks like a cast metal part. May be it should be cast in resin which should be able to be done much thinner.

The paint and decal work also look great!

I save a cheap Revell FW19 kit and hope that I can back date it to FW18. Your work give me some good reference. I really like to have this car that Hill won the championship.
C K
Canada

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi,

Thank you for the compliments, I'm really glad that you like it. It's definitely a bit odd to have such a delicate, very thin component cast in Metal, Resin would probably be a better choice, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the modification work, it was probably 3, maybe 4 times thicker than it needed to be, especially considering that it isn't a structural, load baring part.

I'm glad that you like the Paintwork, I'm really please to have been able to salvage it after the creeping, melted Paint disaster during my first attempt!

I really like your FW19 regression to FW18 idea, I "think" it would be reasonably straightforward. The main differences are the outer edges of the Cockpit head protection, on '19 they are diagonal when viewed from the front. They would need to be changed to vertical for '18. The Airbox inlet is more complex on '19, so making it simpler should be pretty easy (I think) & the Sidepod walls would need to be vertical rather than the more sculpted ones on '19 (as I detailed on this build). The Rear winglets could be some Plasticard. Please post your progress on here whenever you start, I'd really like to see it! There are some really good FW18 reference Pictures at

http://www.gurneyflap.com/formule190's.html

Be careful, alot of these look like they're from stripped out "show" Cars, rolling Chassis & a few Pics don't represent the FW18 as it was in period. Best of luck!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Canada

Post by CK »

Thanks for your advise. When I do it, it will be just a curb side. The challenge will be to get the correct decals.
C K
Canada

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

I think the Decals would have to be from a mix of several different 1/24th Williams Kits, "Elf" from an FW14B maybe? "Sanyo" potentially from an early 90's Benetton sheet? ""Black Tower" & the tiny "Hill/Renault" would be the difficult ones.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi all,

After a bit of a break, I've been slowly chipping away at this project. So here's a small update.

The Car has quite large cooling inlets but the Kit doesn't have any Radiators. I thought that it looked a bit empty,

thankfully I had a couple of spare FW13B Radiators left over from my FW12 transkit project. So I've cut them both in

half, one pair will be fitted into my Brabham BT60B, the other pair have been fitted into FW18.

(1).jpg

I've manufactured & installed the Windscreen, not easy as the Plastic was incredibly inflexible & wanted

to return to it's flat state. So I manufactured a Plastic shadow Plate & forced it into postion.

(2).jpg

A large proportion of the Gearbox/ transmission is exposed, so I've added some detail as per the real thing.

(3) Box.jpg

Just today, I've started assembling the Rear Wing. Very fiddly but my makeshift Jig keeps things nicely sqaure.

Jig (1).jpg
Jig (2).jpg

It's coming together nicely, more to follow.

steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

KB78 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 pm
Just today, I've started assembling the Rear Wing. Very fiddly but my makeshift Jig keeps things nicely sqaure.

It's coming together nicely, more to follow.
Mega, that looks very interesting! :lol: :lol:
Greetings Thomas

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Canada

Post by CK »

I like your quick square jig! It's innovative.
C K
Canada

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. I've never found Studio 27 Wings easy to assemble, quite the opposite! So I'll use anything available to keep it all alligned.

A few cheap Plastic set Squares & Blue Tak does the job reasonably well!

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

this forum never ceases to amaze me with its creativity to make use of materials and equipment :D

cant wait to see the finished article

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Evening everyone, I hope that this finds you well.

Just a quick update on FW18.

As you've already seen in the Pics above, I deiced to Paint the inner, Rear Wing Endplates Blue. Throughout the season they changed from naked Carbon to Blue & back again.
I've already got a numer of Kits with Carbon inner surfaces so thought that the Blue option would make a nice change.

RWEP Carbon (1).jpg
RWEP Carbon (1).jpg (36.31 KiB) Viewed 106 times
RWEP Blue (2).jpg
RWEP Blue (2).jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Moving onto more detail stuff. Much as I have always loved this Car I noticed something I'd not picked up on before.

In some Races the Cars ran with just an Antenna on the Nose.

(1) Just Antena.jpg
(1) Just Antena.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 106 times

In others, a Pitot Tube, Antenna & Blade like component.

(3) Pitot Blade & Antena.jpg
(3) Pitot Blade & Antena.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 106 times

And in others, No Pitot but the Antenna & Blade had swapped positions.

(2) Antena Forward Blade rear.jpg
(2) Antena Forward Blade rear.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 106 times

I had a think about it, did some more research & decided that the Blade & Antenna were the way to go. The Blade was about 30% taller than it needed to be, so I cut this

down & then thinned the remainder as far as I could (it's absolutely tiny) with Wet & dry Paper.

Antenna & Blade.jpg

Finally (for now), I've fully lined the Fuel filler recess with Carbon Decal. None of it will be seen but I know it's there.

Fuel Filler (1).jpg

It's coming together pretty quickly now & will likely be completed within a couple of weeks. Just need to attach the Rear Wing & TV Camera. I've done absolutely nothing with the Camera yet, it's still just White Metal. The Camera's have quite a bit of detail so that will likely take some time to complete.