Tamiya Toyota TS050

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Tamiya Toyota TS050

Post by stubeck »

This WIP might get a bit more interest than my last one... :D

I received the TS050 on Monday night and am very impressed with the kit overall. As complicated as this kit is, its clear from how its designed they intend for novices to build it. In other words, perfect for me! The instruction sheet has a switch for the previous kits I've build by indicating TS spray paints for most parts versus the typical acrylic as well. It looks like they intend to allow people to use simply white, black and semi-gloss spray paints to build the car. The red is simply decals, minus a small part that requires TS-49 if you intend to build #8

I intend to build this kit exactly per the instructions and see what we end up with. I know that I'll be building it again in the future, so can hold off on opening the doors and other fun things until a later date. The kit is really only 3 sprues plus the body and glass. The chromed lid for the interior is a reasonably well done part that I'll be using, but I'm sure those who aren't in such a rush will get a better result by doing it themselves.

The box!

Lots of masking templates

And lots of body decals. I'm super excited to finally be building a kit again with new decals! For this I'll be using the kit decals for most parts, but may paint some red parts using TS-49 decanted as I don't trust that the decals will cover everything completely.

More decals.

Initial semi-gloss black with X-18 is laid down after I had primered earlier in the day. I'm using my spray gun for this and while the large parts look amazing, it doesn't cover the smaller bits very well. I'll be covering up again tonight with some extra X-18.

More parts covered in X-18.

And the body is primered too. Plan is to paint it Zero Pure White and then do the masking for Tamiya acrylic black and semigloss afterwards.

There is one other sprue which includes most of the body panels which need to be white. Once the main parts are painted I'll take the parts off the sprues and do any coverup that needs to happen.

lham44
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Toyota TS050

Post by lham44 »

Nice! I have one pre-ordered, I look even more forward to it coming in now!

Dave

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

I’m onboard...look forward to it.

cooperclimax1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by cooperclimax1 »

My order is in as well.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Hi

Got the kit yesterday from Hobbyeasy. It looks very good in the box, but my oh my that is the most complex multipiece body I have ever seen in a car kit! Not only is it a multipiece body - but a 'multipiece' paintscheme as well. It is not a simple 'assemble' body - spray - decal job - this one.

A challenge - and it is accepted!

BR

Flemming

wadny
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Larry Osolkowski
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Red Bull, Max Verstappen
United States of America

Post by wadny »

I have mine on order from HLJ. I will be following your build! I see you're in Rochester, NY - do you ever get to the BuffCon show in Buffalo?

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Flemming wrote:Hi

Got the kit yesterday from Hobbyeasy. It looks very good in the box, but my oh my that is the most complex multipiece body I have ever seen in a car kit! Not only is it a multipiece body - but a 'multipiece' paintscheme as well. It is not a simple 'assemble' body - spray - decal job - this one.

A challenge - and it is accepted!

BR

Flemming
I got the white coat down yesterday, and plan to give it until Sunday to paint it black. I might not differentiate between gloss black and semi gloss black to make the clear coating easier...or might just paint the semi gloss later. I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes!
wadny wrote:I have mine on order from HLJ. I will be following your build! I see you're in Rochester, NY - do you ever get to the BuffCon show in Buffalo?
I didn't make it this year :( I'm actually in Auburn now and it just didn't work out time wise as I hadn't finished any kits that I wanted to submit and the 4 hour round trip would have been a bit of a drag. I'm going to go to the Syracuse and Rochester shows though and plan to make it out to BuffCon next year!

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

My slow progress continues. Someone in a facebook group I'm in got the car Wednesday and already has the tires and wheels finished! I've realized I need to spray different colors in one session than what I'm doing right now to make sure I'm progressing faster.

Initial semi-gloss black coat finished. I was using the spray gun for this and had the similar problem I had earlier where I don't get full coverage because the spray pattern is so wide. I need to start using the spray gun and my airbrush during these sessions.

More in progress, the semi-gloss paint came out VERY glossy. I'm happy I'm able to get this finish but I also think its a little unrealistic. Next time I'll mix some flat black in probably 1:4 flat to semi to tone it down.

Last night I did some clean up work and am pretty happy with it. I cleaned up some of the parts where the sprue connects to the parts and also used an airbrush to concentrate the paint more. Next step on these parts is to mask where the metallic paint goes and then start building!

Matte white is one of the most disappointing colors to paint. It looks just like primer, which looks almost just like bare plastic! Next step on this side is to mask for where the gloss black is on the car. With how glossy the semi-gloss black is, part of me just wants to paint the interior parts and semi-gloss black with the Alcad II gloss black and simply not do a wet coat for the semi-gloss sections.

More white parts. Before decaling I'm going to hand brush any edges which will likely be seen where the red decal goes. Main portion will be the shark fin, around the numbers and the flip ups. I don't trust decals to cover these parts and it will be tough to fix after the decal is laid down.

The molding on this kit is crazy good.

As I said above my next steps are masking the body parts for the gloss black sections. For the first time I'm confident with this as my work on the Williams had much more complicated sections and I didn't have any real issues on the actual separation lines. The only part that should be nerve racking is the front nose. This has a section which needs to be masked which is white and a red decal which needs to cover up too, so there isn't a lot of lee way. I'll also be doing the masking for the metallic portions on the suspension and wheels too.

dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by dancraft »

Looking good Stubeck.

Just a heads up, if its available where you live, Tamiya Lacquer in the bottle LP50 is the same as TS49 Spray.
Its a bit less messing around than decanting.

Regards,
Dan

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Good start. Do you not find it easier to remove the parts first before painting? I never paint on the sprues, as I find getting all the parts covered can be difficult..
Steve Noble