1/12 Tamiya Williams FW14B

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: 1/12 Tamiya Williams FW14B

Post by daveyman »

Dino wrote:
SteveNoble wrote:Great start. I always regret not buying this kit, got the McLaren mp4/6 but never this one. Look forward to watching your progress. Which paints will you be using for the main body colours?
Thanks!

I will be using the Zero Paints set. I did a spoon test and I like the colors. The blue looks a bit milky in the bottle, but once sprayed it gets very vibrant.
When I built my 1/20 FW14B I used the Zero set for it and was very pleased with the result. The blue is quite a tricky colour to pin down from period photos. It varies quite a lot depending on the light but I was plenty happy with the results achieved using Zero.

Topic author
Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

daveyman wrote:
Dino wrote:
SteveNoble wrote:Great start. I always regret not buying this kit, got the McLaren mp4/6 but never this one. Look forward to watching your progress. Which paints will you be using for the main body colours?
Thanks!

I will be using the Zero Paints set. I did a spoon test and I like the colors. The blue looks a bit milky in the bottle, but once sprayed it gets very vibrant.
When I built my 1/20 FW14B I used the Zero set for it and was very pleased with the result. The blue is quite a tricky colour to pin down from period photos. It varies quite a lot depending on the light but I was plenty happy with the results achieved using Zero.
Agreed on the blue. I knew that I could either paint a color of blue that has been my perception of it through seeing the car on TV or in pics.....or I could try Zero's to gauge the difference between perception and what they came up with.

Kofic
F2
F2

Post by Kofic »

I love this car!
Nice start.
I will follow your building process with great inrerest.

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

Nice work.
I have FW-14B renew project on my desk.
The connectors to the actors for the active suspension not well desgined and break off easy. I designed some new for 3d printing.
Printed at shepways in FUD:

Topic author
Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

scaleautofactory wrote:Nice work.
I have FW-14B renew project on my desk.
The connectors to the actors for the active suspension not well desgined and break off easy. I designed some new for 3d printing.
Printed at shepways in FUD:
Great! The kit needs all the help it can get.

Topic author
Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

Got engine/gearbox painted. On the engine I used two layers of Alclad metalizer over black primer because I didn't wan't the bright aluminum look. The gearbox is a custom mix of Tamiya acrylics in order to make a dark brownish color.

Added missing connectors to the spark plug cover.

I sprayed the etch parts that go on the gearbox with Alclad Aluminum Plate polishing type so those areas would resemble machined surfaces.

I decided to use the Top Studio rear axle kit for the MP4/6, it isn't correct of course, but I don't have machining skills to make something as exciting. I painted in colors more in line with what's on the Williams.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Looks like a good start on it with all those extra details, have fun with it, it is an amazing kit, still loved it when i build my first one.
Guess you know the excelent RB Motion set for the front suspension too, still looking forward to your updates!
Take a stand!

Olivier
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Olivier »

Very good start, happy building.
Can I ask you what blue you have choosen for the body ? Is it a Tamiya paint ?

Topic author
Dino
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Dino »

Olivier wrote:Very good start, happy building.
Can I ask you what blue you have choosen for the body ? Is it a Tamiya paint ?
I will be using Zero's paint for this car. Tamiya's TS44 is nowhere close to what it should be.

Ahatr
Spectator
Spectator

Post by Ahatr »

Looks really good so Far! I've got Tamiya's 1/12 Renault RE20 in the stash and I totally get the aspect of being faced with a huge workload.

Will definitely keep my eye on this build.